• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Softmod your 9600GSO 384MB into a 8800GTS 512MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Apparently they can be unlocked to a 8800GTS 512MB :clap: No, I kid you not. Appears Galaxy is the only company confirmed so far that uses 8 RAM chips vs. the standard 6 RAM chip configuration. Also might be able to work on the 8800GS as the 9600GSO is just a higher clocked 8800GS.

How to Softmod 9600GSO into 8800GTS 512MB Part1

and verified

Change GALAXY 9600GSO to 8800GT and tested.

Looks to be as good as the X800 Pro VIVO-to-X800XT, and X800GTO2-to-X850XT mod :attn:

Confirmed non-modables:

Asus EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M
Asus EN9600GSO MAGIC/HTDP/512M (not 100% confirmed, has 512MB of GDDR2, and only 128-bit).
eVGA 384-P3-N966-TR
Galaxy 96SHF7HUFEXX
Palit 9600GSO Sonic 384MB
XFX PV-T96O-FDF4

Last edited:
Very interesting!

I wonder if this works with the ECS card and not just the Galaxy card as the ECS card is the only 9600GSO on the egg.

If not, anyone have a link where I can purchase this Galaxy card in the states?

I need to upgrade my vid card and this sounds like the perfect solution. :)

Also, just a side note. Since this is a newer card with a better core and chips, it doesn't need a upgraded cooler. Single slot 8800GTS FTW!

Very interesting!

I wonder if this works with the ECS card and not just the Galaxy card as the ECS card is the only 9600GSO on the egg.

If not, anyone have a link where I can purchase this Galaxy card in the states?

I need to upgrade my vid card and this sounds like the perfect solution. :)

Also, just a side note. Since this is a newer card with a better core and chips, it doesn't need a upgraded cooler. Single slot 8800GTS FTW!

So far, the Galaxy 9600GSO Overclocked is not sold in the states. The normal Galaxy 9600GSO will not work. Only Asia and Australia, and possibly Canada. Probably the first US site to get it (if any) would be ncixus.com, as they carry Galaxy cards, and also have a Canadian branch.

If you want, you could be the brave soul and order the ECS one to try it. Just be prepared to do a blind flash. I'm looking for reviews of all the 9600GSO cards to see if I can find any pictures with the heatsinks off, to see which companies have 8 chips on their cards.

The Leadtek on newegg has the exact same clock speeds as the Galaxy 9600GSO Overclock. So right now, that's probably the best bet US overclockers have at unlocking one.

If you want, you could be the brave soul and order the ECS one to try it. Just be prepared to do a blind flash. I'm looking for reviews of all the 9600GSO cards to see if I can find any pictures with the heatsinks off, to see which companies have 8 chips on their cards.

The Leadtek on newegg has the exact same clock speeds as the Galaxy 9600GSO Overclock. So right now, that's probably the best bet US overclockers have at unlocking one.

so which one of you is gonna do it? :D

so which one of you is gonna do it? :D

Probably the one of us who don't live in North America :D As mentioned above, only Galaxy version works and those aren't sold in USA, only imported.

I wonder how long before we start seeing modded video card on eBay?

I need to upgrade cards anyway.

Give me 2 weeks to get my next check and I'll let you all know. I'd get it now but this E7200 and cooling supplies put me a little short on funds. :D

If it does end up working right, I'm going to purchase another one and a different mobo to do some SLi action.

SLi 8800GTS 512's for under 400$... mmmm...

Mmmmm, Nvidia is looking good all of sudden for the low-mid gpu segment.

Is a G92 chip in the 9600GSO or is it something else?

Mmmmm, Nvidia is looking good all of sudden for the low-mid gpu segment.

Is a G92 chip in the 9600GSO or is it something else?

Yep, the part that makes the 256-bit and 512MB of RAM unlockable is the 8 RAM chips. 8x32=256-bit, whereas 6x32=192-bit. So if you're lucky enough to get the 256-bit interface unlocked, you're also lucky enough to get the full 512MB. I wonder if technically you could unlock the extra shaders, while maintaining a 192-bit interface if your card only has 6 chips?

Yep, the part that makes the 256-bit and 512MB of RAM unlockable is the 8 RAM chips. 8x32=256-bit, whereas 6x32=192-bit. So if you're lucky enough to get the 256-bit interface unlocked, you're also lucky enough to get the full 512MB. I wonder if technically you could unlock the extra shaders, while maintaining a 192-bit interface if your card only has 6 chips?

you mustered up something to de-lid that q6600 so grow something else to find out!

Very tempting, although I personally would try it on the 8800GS, seeing as how the 9600GSO is just a renamed 8800GS ;) + the 8800GS is cheaper then a 9600GSO. I'm gonna see if I can get one of my Euro contacts to ship a card over (assuming the total would be cheaper then a 8800GTS 512MB).

I have. I'm talking about with mobo. You can get the cards for 120 a piece which leaves you another 150 for a mobo.

Thus, SLi setup for under 400.

Or if the 8800GS unlock, even cheaper! Right now I have requests up on anandtech and hardforum asking users that if they own a 8800GS/9600GSO, for them to check their RAM configuration under the heatsink :thup:

Very tempting, although I personally would try it on the 8800GS, seeing as how the 9600GSO is just a renamed 8800GS ;)

I did an image search on the 8800GS and the ones I found look like this XFX card. Notice the 2 missing ram chips. bummer, now I gotta get a friend in Europe somehow lol.

8800_gs_xfx_gola___.jpg

Im gonna keep the search for a stateside 8 chip card, I will find one.

Back