• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With SELECT Query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

I have a table of users that has records entered in it every hour with their updated "credit" which either increase or stays the same.

I want to write a select statment that returns the data in the row that contains the largest value for credit for each individual user on a particular day.

It will also sort by credit but that parts easy.

Here's what I have

SELECT userid, name, MAX(currentcredit) as current_credit, rac, country FROM userstats
WHERE month='6' AND day='4' AND year='2008'
GROUP BY userid
ORDER BY current_credit DESC

This give me the maximum credit for each user but the other columns(rac is what I really need to be from the matching row) it returns aren't from the row that contains the maximum credit amount, they're from the first row that userid is found in.

Last edited:
If I do that I get multiple rows per user, one for each time one of the other columns is unique (rac is different in most records for the same userid).

So are you writing multiple records to the database of the same person? Or are you updating your records when at each interval?

/edit

Yea, I just noticed you're using an aggregate function there in your select. You likely will need a subquery...

Code:
SELECT
    U.username,
    ( SELECT
          MAX(credits)
          FROM userstats
          WHERE U.username = username ) AS 'current_credits'
    -- other fields go here
FROM userstats U
WHERE month='6' AND day='4' AND year='2008'
GROUP BY userid
ORDER BY current_credit DESC

Last edited:
One additional question I have for you:

Why are you hard coding the date into the query? Why not just pass in a parameter? Then just compare a date field to your parameter...

Code:
DECLARE
@CurrentDate datetime
AS
SELECT
    U.username,
    ( SELECT
          MAX(credits)
          FROM userstats
          WHERE U.username = username ) AS 'current_credits'
    -- other fields go here
FROM userstats U