• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid question of the day #2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maelstromracing

Ok. I have Verizon FIOS. The route is in the back room. I recently converted my front room to the computer room. I currently have one CAT5 cable running from the router in the back room to the front room. (eventually I am going to run a new cat5 cable from the FIOS box to the front room, via the actic, but it is almost 100 degrees here and that means the attic is like 140. Too hot for me ) I have another router. Can I hook up say the output of router one (via 1 of the 4 ports) to the new router (via the WAN port) and then plug in all the other computers in to the 4 portsin the back? Thanks!!!

ok last stupid question. I have the server and my game rig up an running on the router that is connected to the wireless router (which gets the initial WAN). The Laptop is connected via the wireless, but cannot see any of the computers on the 2nd router and the computers on the second router cannot see the wireless computer on the 1st router. What do I need to do now? Thanks!!

all systems are on the same workgroup. Network was working fine. I changed rooms. The wireless router did not move. That has the laptop. The router with the cat5 cable into it's wan from the wireless has the server and my rig. My rig and server see each other, but they don't see the laptop. It looks like the wireless router assigns 192.168.0.1 and the wire assigns 192.168.1.1 and the wired router has an IP address on the wireless router as 192.168.0.3. I think that is where the problem lies...

Just to confirm, is wireless router is downstream of the of the FIOS router? And you have it connected to the WAN port?

Can you set the router to not be a DHCP server, assign it a static IP on the 192.168.0.x network, and connect it on a LAN port?

More than likely the upstream router does not know how to reach the second network so it either drops the traffic, or sends it upstream where it is dropped. By eliminating the wireless router as a NAT device, it will be able to relay DHCP requests from the primary router, and no more of the two separate networks issues.

I had a similar problem like this. I did something to the tune of what Dark_15 mentioned and it fixed my problem.

Just to confirm, is wireless router is downstream of the of the FIOS router? And you have it connected to the WAN port?

Can you set the router to not be a DHCP server, assign it a static IP on the 192.168.0.x network, and connect it on a LAN port?

It goes Wall-->Fios Wireless Router--> Cat5 Cable-->--Wired Router
Laptop^^^^ can't see Server and Game^^^
and vice versa. I tried making the wired router the nonDHCP like you said and that didn't work. Looks like I will be sweating pretty soon. Thanks for the help. It got at least 2 up again!!

Back