• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official: What Have I Killed Benching Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tis a sad day Scotty. Does my botched soldering job count as a benching death? Ill post the picture up regardless.

I did this to the 7970 i was trying to mod a week or so back.

0131172005b-2.jpg

In your defense, some of those spots are really tight. Anybody can botch those at any time.

OOH I CAAAN contribute!!! I botched a solder on a PDB board for a flying RC wing. Planned to make a FPV rig on it, so needed a 5v stepdown from 18 volts.

Had a bit too much solder on the tip, and it dripped with an accidental flick of my finger onto a few regulators. The regulators were popped off the board with the excess solder drip. I could fix it, as that was the only real damage.

Pics in update, STAY TUNED!!

20170219_050527.jpg

Just to the left of the red wire in the +5v area, one of those little chips are missing.

:)

SEE?! I CAN KILL THINGS TOO!!

I never cleaned the solder of the flux, so don't mind the ugly glob of solder on the pads.

Last edited:
Good lord suppressor! Were you soldering with a coat hanger? Lol

Last edited:
It was my first time soldering. And I have limited use of my left hand, so I have a hard time heating pads and sticking wires in securely.

Can't tell you how many times the wire just slid out because the solder didn't bind to the wire.

the pads were like https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...c9QV2zWpkm46xupTayCrXhBA&ust=1487630378662323 , though, I had the earlier revision of this board.

So I just linked them into one big solder pad to easily add wires to.

Last edited:
I hear you. I would recommend practicing on dead equipment until you get a little better. I understand handicaps can make things exponentially more difficult but believe me, you can do it with enough practice.

It was my first time soldering. And I have limited use of my left hand, so I have a hard time heating pads and sticking wires in securely.

Can't tell you how many times the wire just slid out because the solder didn't bind to the wire.

the pads were like https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...c9QV2zWpkm46xupTayCrXhBA&ust=1487630378662323 , though, I had the earlier revision of this board.

So I just linked them into one big solder pad to easily add wires to.
You would probably benefit from a set of helping hands. They're a godsend for even folks without limitations. They might help you even more with your left hand issues. :thup:

You would probably benefit from a set of helping hands. They're a godsend for even folks without limitations. They might help you even more with your left hand issues. :thup:

I have that exact one, and another one with a led mangifying glass.

And I was using it. I'm much better at soldering now than that job, I kept that board as a "souvineir". lol

You are also seeing hot glue in there as well, Which i used so I don't kill myself on exposed solder when I plug that 40 amp 3cell lipo battery into that. :)

Also, probably going to buy this one in the future: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/322416585838?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Last edited:
The new board is behaving much better. Could have just been a bum board who knows, chip two however does not clock as well as chip one so I am back on the original one.

Chipset on chiller at 4.0v. You can probably figure out the rest.
Was looking for over 180 FSB. Didn't get it.

Last edited:
Back