• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good program to backup computer for a safe restore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

Just wondering if there is any software out there that backs up your whole hard drive, encase something catastrophic happens. Doesn't have to be free but it doesn't hurt that it is :)

I know you can just create a restore point but I can never remember to use it efficiently and it usually gets deleted on accident since my brother uses programs that cleans out that stuff :(

You can back up your whole hardrive, to another drive,

programs like acronis trueimage will work, and norton ghost.

Are you looking for a program to make an image of your hard drive or just back up your data to another drive?

Are you looking for a program to make an image of your hard drive or just back up your data to another drive?

Making an image would be the best choice for me, but backing up to another one will work also.

I use Ghost and backup. Unless you want to do an image once a week (depending on how big your partition is and how fast your storage is) it will take from 20 minutes to a couple of hours (such as a network share). So if you make an image of your partitions then only make another image when you make a major change such as installing software that is a pain to configure or you have done major modifications to the system since the last image was made.

Then using a backup program or batch files back up your data.

I put XP 64 on my system becasue I am buying a Qaud that will be here on Monday or Tuesday. To bad, most of my programs will not work with XP 64. So I put the XP image back on the system. Have to give it some thought, will XP 32 support 4 processors? (I never had a four processor system that I could install XP on before, just servers and the owning department would have been quite upset if I loaded XP on one just to see if it would work).

So after two hours of fiddeling around with XP 64 I put the XP 32 image back on my system, it said 'Hi! nice to be back, what do you want to do today?'

Ya, Ghost and backups have pulled my Senior a** out of some bad situations over the years since it first came out.

HTH

Back