• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Q6600 SMP question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metloaf

I am redoing my Q6600 setup as we speak and I want to set it up to the maximum PPD production possible. I was running 2xSMP under Ubuntu and I don't think I was getting the max out of it.

System-
Q6600 at 3.04 ghz with 1333 FSB volt mod
Mobo- ECS G31T-M
RAm 1x1gig Crucial Ballistix PC2 8500

I was thinking of reinstalling XP and running a VM and 2xSMP with affinity changer. I don't know if thats the best setup but I only have 1 gig of RAM in there. What do you guys think?

Somewhere around 2000 maybe even a little less. It was only using 2 cores out of 4. Thats why I don't think I was anywhere near max production.

I was squeezing out around 3500ppd on average for a little while. This is what I had running...

1-PS3 about 900ppd
1-Q6600 with Ubuntu Linux and dual SMP
1 Xeon 3110 at 3.8ghz with XP and VM -1 SMP + 1 GPU2 client
1-Core2Duo E6400 at 2.7ghz with Ubuntu Linux 1 SMP

you should be able to get 3000 ppd just of the quad with ubuntu and 1 linux client.

I get 3400+ on a 306X WU

the 2665 ones are eating everyones lunch.

Affinity changer is for Dual Cores more then quads AFAIK.

Yea I was getting like 3100 in xp with a single winsmp client on the 306X WU's

BTW is the 1gb of ram on the quad if so you don't need to run 2x smp

yea it will and IMHO if your only gonna run 1gb ATM only run 1 smp.

1-Q6600 with Ubuntu Linux and dual SMP

If I'm reading this and your other posts right... were you running two SMP clients within the same Linux VM under VMWare? If so, that's the reason it wasn't maxing the cpu usage (or at least coming close). A VMWare Server instance will only use two cores for any VM, so you need to run two separate VMs, each with one SMP client, to max out your quad.

Also, for best production set the affinity of one vmware-vmx.exe process to cores 0,1 and the other vmware-vmx.exe to cores 2,3. This cuts down on the IPC over the FSB- each vmware-vmx.exe process is then isolated to it's down physical die.

Thanks for the info Harlam, now I know where I went wrong. I just reinstalled everything and now I just need to know where and how to set the affinity. :beer:

Never mind I just figured it out. Do I need to set the machine ID as 1 and 2 or leave them both 1? :santa2:

Last edited:
If you're running two separate Linux VMs, each with one Folding client, then just leave each client machine ID as 1.

The only time you need to set the machine ID differently is when you're running more than one client per machine/OS. Since each VM is a separate, isolated machine/OS from the other, there is no need to distinguish the clients by use of machine ID.

Make sense? :)

Back