• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m4a2t0t

anybody got any good links on using rubbing compound?

i had one but i just formatted and i forgot to save it.

i really want to know what i ned to do before i start using the compound,i thought i needed to wet sand with like 2000 grit before i started but i cant remember

thanks

i just painted my case...

i just painted my case flat black and it looks beutiful! i didnt prime it, sand it or anything! just 2 coats of paint! its nicer than almost any case iv seen(except the ones that get done in body shops)

Jon

Last edited:
Myself, I only use it to remove oxidation or fine scratches. If you have just painted your case, you shouldn't need rubbing compound. It is really just liquified sandpaper. I would just put a nice coat of wax on it after I painted.:beer:

That one looked pretty darn nice! To get a good finish, I would apply several coats, sanding lightly with some 2000 grit or some steel wool. To finish I woud use a couple of clear coats. Then buff and wax it. If you see Crystalmethod on here he is a good one to ask too.:beer:

What you want to do is wet sand between coats. I usually start with about an 800 Grit wet/dry paper, and work my way up to 2000. When you wet sand, let it dry and look at the paint afterwards. It should look dull, almost as if you had painted the panel with flat paint instead of gloss. If you notice little specks of shiny paint, those are the low spots on the panel, and you need to apply another coat of paint (I used 8 cans on a mid tower). If you look at your first set of pics (particularly the pic with the fans on top of the case), or just look at your case closely. You'll notice the little "bumps" of paint. Wet sanding takes off all the high spots like that, and leaves you with a smooth even surface. Once you have sanded enough to produce a evenly dull surface, you're ready to compound it. I use 3M finishing compound on my case. You'll need a couple of REALLY soft terry towels for this. When you compound the panels, use the circular motion that I'm sure you already know about. You'll be taking off a little bit of paint as you go along, so you'll need to keep folding the towels so that you're using a clean part of it. You'll need a lot of terry towels, but you can pick them up in bulk at a automotive supply store in the car-wash/ detailing/ esthetics area. Just be sure to wash them first, and when you dry them, don't use any fabric softener. As soon as you start compounding you'll immediatly see the pay-off. Once you're done compounding, get a fresh towel and wash the panels, let them dry, and then apply as many coats of clear that you think you'll need. Once that has hardened, then you can wax it. I'd wait a few days/ weeks before you wax it, to let the paint fully cure. Generally, the longer the better. Any more questions just post!

Back