• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ problem lowered my 3dmark score by 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Have video card, onboard sound, usb controller, and nic all sharing IRQ 11. When I added the USB card to my system, my 3dmark scores dropped 1200 points! Using Win 2000 and I found device manager/resource manual controls are locked. IRQ's 5 and 7 are both free. I tried swapping PCI slots and nothing changed. SO I was looking for a way to fix this and found:

1) Reserve the shared irq through bios and see if that redistributes the devices to new irq's.

2) Disable ACPI in bios and format/clean install OS.

I'm going to try these fixes tonight and see if I can get my 3dmark score back up. Hope this might help some other ppl with Win 2k or XP having too much IRQ sharing/inefficent AGP.

more

I also just hooked up a 4 port router w/ firewall. Could that be causing the problems?

Also, found a better (I hope) way of disabling ACPI in Win 2k. Device manager--> + Computer--> ACPI--> Update driver, pick Standard PC. Reboot, reinstall some devices, turn on APM in power management.

Gonna try it and see if rearranging irq's restores my previous 3dmark scores.

fixed

disabling ACPI didn't help any. But when I formatted and reinstalled win 2000 my previous scores were restored.

Back