• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A 4850 review at XS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At that price point it needs to be an 8800GTS killer, granted that's no much more than the 8800GT, but yea it's looking nice.

OMG, this makes me wanna toss my 8800GTX for a 4870X2.... WOW! Can't wait this will be sweet, I hope Apple sticks a 4850 or a 4870/X2 in the Mac Pros

We have a 8800GT killer at the $200 mark! Sweeet!

Not really at the same price level with the 8800GT going for around $130, you need to compare the HD4850 to the say 8800GTS 512 at least, even the GTS prices hover around $180 these days after rebates

looks like i might be switching GPU companies... im still going to wait and see though...

What really drives me nuts is knowing that as more and more ATI cards come out the X1900XT(X) cards are going to sell for like $50 a pop really soon... I have one in my gf's machine (that I used to use) and it hurts to know it's going to be almost worthless compared to what's out there...

I'm glad to see ATI pushing the pace... I love both companies and glad to see the competition going strong!!

Well is the say 2x 3870's in Crossfire faster or about the same as a 3870X2?

I'm really curious since I think the 4870 cores will be my first dual card system probably, just not sure which one to really go with. Dual 4870's or 4870X2... hmmmmm.

4870x2 is not just 2 HD4870s thrown onto one PCB. Its actually a dual-core die. The R700 core vs. the R770 that the 4850/4870 uses. I'm not sure if that's gonna make it faster then 2x HD4870 in Crossfire, or slower? I'd be willing to bet faster :D

I'd think faster as well. Just curious is all if anything was spilled totally on the new dual core card yet since I haven't been following it 100%. Guess I gotta really look at other systems with dual cards, single dual core card, etc for cooling setups and all that and decide really from that maybe.

I'm getting to the point of itchin for a new card yet at the same time its like, do I really need one. Then I remind myself, im an OCer :)

New Toy FTW.

I'd think faster as well. Just curious is all if anything was spilled totally on the new dual core card yet since I haven't been following it 100%. Guess I gotta really look at other systems with dual cards, single dual core card, etc for cooling setups and all that and decide really from that maybe.

I'm getting to the point of itchin for a new card yet at the same time its like, do I really need one. Then I remind myself, im an OCer :)

New Toy FTW.

I have been waiting for these cards, I need the X2 :beer: If the X2 is a dual core GPU, that will make it the most powerful GPU available, with 1600 SPs. :eek:

4870x2 is not just 2 HD4870s thrown onto one PCB. Its actually a dual-core die. The R700 core vs. the R770 that the 4850/4870 uses. I'm not sure if that's gonna make it faster then 2x HD4870 in Crossfire, or slower? I'd be willing to bet faster :D

Got a source on the dual core thing?

Well not sure about being dual core die, that would have worse yields but it won't need a bridge chip for communicating between the two dice so scaling will be better.

Back