• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360 red lights/Possible fixes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

I have an early-gen Xbox360 manufacture date sometime in the summer after launch. Recently it has shown the 3 red lights that indicate general hardware failure. Since it's 2 years old I don't have any warranty options available. Would it be worth it to attempt to open it up and replace some TIM on the CPU/GPU? I don't have any laying around so I'll have to buy it to attempt it, but if there's a fairly good chance that it could be resurrected it'd be worthwhile...thoughts/comments?

Well, I don't have any documentation from when I bought it anyway -- and I opened up the case once like a year ago so there's no sticker inside anymore.
Anyways...
Is the towel trick just a temporary solution or could it legitimately make a difference?

1. You don't need any documentation.

2. The red ring problem is covered unconditionally.

3. Towel is a temporary trick, yes. It melts the solders and reseats the components.

Just call 1.800.MYXBOX and they'll ask you the serial number and let you know your ontions. Basically they send you a box and packing material and you send it in(no cost to you). In about 2-3 weeks, BAM a red ring free XBOX.

Edit - The serial number is on the back of the XBox.

Is the towel trick just a temporary solution or could it legitimately make a difference?
I believe it is temporary since it doesn't fix the issue. The actual mounting of the heatsink and the heat created by the components break the contacts.

What I would suggest doing since you already voided the warranty is to upgrade the cooling so it doesn't overheat, fix the mounting issue (guides on the internet) and THEN do the towel trick to fix it.

Warranty is not yet voided. DO NOT OPEN IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! That WILL void even RRoD coverage.

I just went through this with Xbox, trust me. Mine was bought used and was fixed.

Oh jeez, I re-read the original, sorry. Yeah basically your SoL. The towel trick will work for a bit but eventually, you'll need to replace the system. I tried upgraded cooling and it didn't help. Once the rings are there, it's a matter of time.

Sorry Thiddy, and thank you for pointing that out.

I think they still take it back... I popped open a friends 360 after it RRoD'd and they accepted it... he hasn't gotten it back yet I don't believe so I dunno if they're fixing it or just gonna send back his old one, but they sent him a box and he sent it out. Fairly certain they are repairing it.

I think they still take it back... I popped open a friends 360 after it RRoD'd and they accepted it... he hasn't gotten it back yet I don't believe so I dunno if they're fixing it or just gonna send back his old one, but they sent him a box and he sent it out. Fairly certain they are repairing it.

Yea, and at this point, you really don't have anything to lose and everything to gain.

Back