Watersoaked iPod and k800i: What can I do?

I was punting.

I lost my balance for a second, took one step back, realized a bit too late there was no boat where I was stepping, and fell into the water -- iPod in my left back pocket and k800i cellphone in the right.

It seems at the moment both items are dead. I've removed the battery from the cell and put it in the sun. Is there anything else I can do? I suppose not, right?

The only good news is that it was a big hit with the tourists. They were -- I kid you not -- taking photos and thanking me and my friends (who were in the punt) for the spectacular show we put on.

I see no reason why it won't work. Crack open the iPod with a razor blade (depending which model it is you may want to google how to open it) and let everything dry. Maybe give them a light bath in 90% alcohol and let them dry then give a full recharge.

Wow I would never take my electronics on to a rig like that. Anyhow......crack them open....alcohol bath.....hair dryer....time.....

And just hope they come back to life

Id clean them off with distilled water and/or rubbing alcohol, and then put them in a sealed container with some rice, preferably instant. Just let them dry out for a few days to prevent damaging any parts (which shouldnt happen anyways if the only fluid in there is distilled water or alcohol.)
    Mobo: XFX 680i LT
    CPU: Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.8 ghz
    Cooling: Apogee GT + MCW60
    RAM: OCZ SLI Ready 6400 @ 1000mhz 2 x 1gb
    Vid: 2x EVGA 8800GTS 512 (g92) @ 812/1035/2020
    Case: NZXT Lexa Black
    PSU: Ultra Xfinity 600W
    3dMark06:18356 marks

There are couple ways water will destroy your electronics:

1) Corrosion, basically if you let it dry quick enough, this should not be a problem. If you have access to the circuit board a quick rinse with alcohol or acetone and you should be okay.

2) It shorts out working circuitry. This can be a problem for both the battery, which could explode or destroy internal fuses in the safety circuitry itself, and for the IC's in that shorting an IC tends to make it not work, plus not all pins can handle the potential current draw or sink that a short can cause.

Basically, if #2 doesn't happen, letting the things dry should work. Since this would be easiest with the phone check the battery to make sure it doesn't have an abnormal bulge which would indicate that its wrecked.

Good luck.
    Q6600 - 3.42 (380x9) 1.48V : IP35 Pro : 2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC
    New GTX275 OC to come : HP w2207
    X-Fi Platinum (Op Amp modded) : Audio Technica A500's
    Tuniq Tower 120 : Antec P182
    Running: Windows 7 RC and Fedora 10 (PREEMPT_RT)

"If science is the dispassionate pursuit of objective truth, then it stands to reason that mad science is the completely irrational pursuit of a nutty project that the rest of the world will never completely understand." -Popular Mechanics

I have a friend who dropped his 6230i into a cup of coca-cola, he just popped it on the radiator and the next day it powered up fine.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Quote Originally Posted by JamesXP View Post
    I have a friend who dropped his 6230i into a cup of coca-cola, he just popped it on the radiator and the next day it powered up fine.
    I'd advise against any heating. Letting it dry in the Sun should be okay, but rinsing it with alcohol and letting it dry in the Sun or just in your room would be best.

"If science is the dispassionate pursuit of objective truth, then it stands to reason that mad science is the completely irrational pursuit of a nutty project that the rest of the world will never completely understand." -Popular Mechanics

Thanks for the advice. I didn't even think about popping the case of the iPod, but I have done so, gave it a hasty wipe with some isopropyl, and both the cell and the iPod are now trying on the windowsill.

Hopefully, they'll both work again. The cell, especially, was rather expensive.

College Park, MD (School) - Westminster, MD (home)
    I've seen cell phones go through a wash cycle with no damage; hopefully it will work out for you.

ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3

2500k @ 4.9ghz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

vCore
    1.287 |Idle: 33c | Full load: 68c
    16gb Corsair XMS 3
    | Sapphire 6950 2GB UNLOCKED
    F O L D For Team 32!!

Black belt Ubercloxx0r

Audio Technica ATH-A900's
    "yet another issue with the R-series. If I actually use it on my lap, I can feel my sperm count dropping."
    SANS GSEC Certified

Quote Originally Posted by wa77ss View Post
    Wow I would never take my electronics on to a rig like that. Anyhow......crack them open....alcohol bath.....hair dryer....time.....

And just hope they come back to life
    hindsight is always 20/220 isn't it? in every thread like this, someone always has to come in and say something along these lines. just keep it to yourself, honestly.

anyways, were they on when you went in? electronics with power running through them can get wrecked pretty easily with water, but if they were off you will probably be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix_2k View Post
    I've seen cell phones go through a wash cycle with no damage; hopefully it will work out for you.
    I did that to one of my old phones, and all it did was vibrate.... As soon as you put the battery in: vibrate.

It did go through the dryer cycle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
    hindsight is always 20/220 isn't it? in every thread like this, someone always has to come in and say something along these lines. just keep it to yourself, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa77ss View Post
    NOTHING
    Your lack of a post only further proves my point. That's all I'm going to say on the topic.
    Main Rig: e8400 l ASUS P5K Deluxe l G.Skill 4GB HZ's l GTX 280 l 2x320gb 7200.10 Raid 0 l X-FI Platinum l CM Stacker 830 l OCZ 700W GameXtreme l Logitech z-5500's l G5 l Saitek Eclipse II l 2 x 2407 WFP
    HTPC:P4 2.8 l 1.5GB ram l 7600GS l HVR-1600 l 400gb raid 0 l Audigy 1 l Coolermaster 280 l 37" Olevia

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
    Your lack of a post only further proves my point. That's all I'm going to say on the topic.
    You don't have a point. Why do you come in here and start this crap.

Its not hindsight, its CALLED THINKING AHEAD. Would you jump on to a raft with all your electronics in your pockets. NO!

That kind of stuff is just waiting to happen, I could understand if it was a boat, but its not even close. I'm not ragging on Frodo, I'm just saying I wouldn't have done that to begin with.

WHY DON'T YOU KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

Ah. Excellent. We lasted all the way to #14, this time.

Okay folks, I'm happy with the answers I got. No need to post any further comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins View Post
    Ah. Excellent. We lasted all the way to #14, this time.

Okay folks, I'm happy with the answers I got. No need to post any further comments.
    You are still obliged to inform us if they work or not. But that might be another day.. (or thread at this rate...)

nerdlogic
    Any news?

if you are interested wrapping it in a towel and tossing it in the clothes dryer will work very well.ive saved a couple ipods and a cell phone this way

I7 2600K-MSI Z68A GD65-MSI GTX 580
    4x4gb Corsair Vengeance-OCZ Agility3 120gb
    WD 320gb-Seasonic X1050,CM HAF-X

DDC-2 w/Bitspower mini tank
    EK Supreme HF
    DD GTX580
    XSPC RX360

HEAT

Overclockers Team Content Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by maxfly View Post
    if you are interested wrapping it in a towel and tossing it in the clothes dryer will work very well.ive saved a couple ipods and a cell phone this way
    I was going to recommend this as I've washed a few flash drives and my iPod Shuffle, and putting it through the drier in pants seem to save them...but the problem is the LCD screen might not make it.
    Build!.Borg!.Recruit!.Folding.for.Team.32!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT Heat

Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
    www.linuxfah.info

Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
    Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
    This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
    I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
    Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos

My brother's cell phone went through the wash and the dryer until we found it in his pocket. It worked after it air dried for a day.
    cpu-Intel Core i7 3770k
    ram-G.Skill 2x4gb DDR3-1600
    gpu-Radeon HD 7950
    motherboard-Asus P8Z68-V LE