• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8-phase power vs 16-phase power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Z97M with 1.30 BIOS is clocking my 4670K worse than Z87M. Simply needs higher voltage for the same clock. There are no vrm frequency options at all. I'm doing something else for the most of the time and I just runned some stability tests to check how it's acting but I guess I have to check newer BIOSes.

Ah, one more thing. I have to set core multi "per core" as "all cores" is always setting max multi x39 even though in BIOS I see higher values. So Evilsizer was right but he had the same on G3250. As I said I didn't check any other BIOS than 1.30 yet ... will post something more later
the G3250 is not a unlocked cpu and not the one i have.

Its not the boards VRM frequency that is the option its the IVD that is but in an offset. according to the manual for ocing they suggest .6 offset, i use a postive offset of .6. im not sure if the offset is meant as a percentage, but that is what im assuming. since i dont have a real strong air cooler but one i chose for being balanced and non-tower. i think my temps at 4.2ghz are reasonable. i say that cause if i was overclocking higher i would mess with using a higher offset for the IVD.

the G3250 is not a unlocked cpu and not the one i have.

Its not the boards VRM frequency that is the option its the IVD that is but in an offset. according to the manual for ocing they suggest .6 offset, i use a postive offset of .6. im not sure if the offset is meant as a percentage, but that is what im assuming. since i dont have a real strong air cooler but one i chose for being balanced and non-tower. i think my temps at 4.2ghz are reasonable. i say that cause if i was overclocking higher i would mess with using a higher offset for the IVD.

I meant G3258 ;)

I decided that I will return ASRock Z97M OCF to the store ( well, have that right so why not to use it ). I just have enough of this board. It could be good if it was Extreme series but not OCF. It's simply not a board designed for overclocking.

- no diagnostic LED - speaker didn't work on any other BIOS than 1.30
- single BIOS while Z87M had 2
- after failed boot at higher memory clock, I couldn't make it boot for about 15 mins even though I was resetting BIOS couple of times ... finally I removed gfx card and it booted on IGP
- CPU needs slightly higher voltage to run stable than on Z87M
- no vrm frequency options for CPU and memory
- while setting "all cores" board is running at maximum default turbo ratio so x32 for G3258 and x39 for 4690K ... so have to set all cores manually
- power section is running at higher temps than on Z87M, probably because of less power phases
- I couldn't make board to boot when memory was in 1/3 slots, I had to use 2/4

I know it's not ASRock Z97M OCF thread but I don't want to make new thread for that.

Back