• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crysis problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiteshark

Registered
hi, i have intel pentium dual core e2160 @1,80Ghz, Nvidia 8600gt 512 mb, 2GB ddr2 800 single slot. I have instaled crysis but i cant play it right, its so slow and bad, what is the problem. people playing crysis on nvidia 8600gt. what do I need to upgrade for better performance in crysis my processor or my graficks???:bang head

Minimum specs for Crysis are supposed to be 2.8 ghz for XP or 3.2 ghz for Vista. There is your problem.

No.
The numbers you mention are for Pentium 4 processors. His processor is better than minimum requirements, but not enough for recommended.

http://www.crysisdemo.com/crysis-system-requirements.htm

OP:
What's your settings? With an 8600GT, medium are the best settings. Turning down shader and shadows will improve performance quite a bit.
Your processor could be better, you will see an increase in performance if you upgrade to Core2Duo with 2.2 Ghz or more.

i have overclocked my processor to 2,20 ghz but there is no some big difference, and my settings are on medium level,ok l will upgrade to better processor

Don't whip out the credit card just yet. I got my numbers from support.ea.com but I missed the line about the C2 proc.

Try turning everything down to minimum and then turn one item at a time to medium. Whichever one causes the problem is the one you need to keep the lowest.

If you have OC'd it to 2,2 Ghz, I really don't think you should buy a new CPU. Because then you have what's recommended.

its the video card, whether it meets specs or not, it doesn't have the chug that the game needs to get going.

its the video card, whether it meets specs or not, it doesn't have the chug that the game needs to get going.

Not true.
Crysis ran okay for me at medium/high settings with the 8600GT 256 mb.
With high, I mean no real stuttering except in the end.

I don't know if the OP's standards are too high maybe. The game may feel a bit unresponsive with an 8600GT, maybe that's what he means.

OP:
You should also run the game with lower resolutions. Higher than 1024x1028 is not really a good idea with 8600GT.

If you have OC'd it to 2,2 Ghz, I really don't think you should buy a new CPU. Because then you have what's recommended.

He should buy a new CPU anyway: The 2160 is a joke. That's the "tide-me-over" CPU my best friend decided to stick with: Ergo he doesn't play PC games anymore.

Never been a better time to shop for CPUs than right now. I've seen E8400s for 149.99

So if the op HAS the money... he should upgrade.

If he DOESN'T have the money... he should just switch to medium and drop the resolution down to 800x600 or something.

Yeah, the processor is not the best, but it's a bit overexaggerating to stop playing games because of it. It is even by today's standard an okay CPU, the processor market is way ahead of the game requirements. You have gotten me curious: what games wasn't he able to play because of the 2160?

The OP already said he runs the game at medium. Question is if he cranks up the resolution or not, thus giving worthless performance.

Remember also that that proc has the 1MB L2 cache. So even with the OC, it will be an under performer. I stand by my earlier recommendation to turn everything down, see what happens and fiddle with the settings to see what performance you can get out of it.

Your CPU is going to hold you back only if you plan on getting more than 30 Fps, which might not be possible with 8600gt.

Anyway, install the game patches which improve performance noticeable, if you haven't done so already.

dan

There are also some ini tweakes you can do over at TweakGuides.
OP: What resolution are you trying to play at?
+1 on a new proc if you've got the dough.

If he wants to upgrade to get better performance in Crysis, it's more the GPU that should be changed. That will make a bigger impact undoubtedly.

And about that RAM. I don't know, but doesn't 2048 mb one-slot memory give much less performance than using two slots?

try turning down Post processing to its lowest level in the graphics settings. This usually helps the frame rate.

But i think you should try tweaks like this until you decide to go out and spend more $$. Many pc's struggle to play this game and imho I dont think its worth throwing out cash just for this game. The graphics are great, but thats it.

Yeah, the processor is not the best, but it's a bit overexaggerating to stop playing games because of it. It is even by today's standard an okay CPU,

You're wrong. MY processor (a B2) is "okay" by today's standards. I've got twice the level 2 cache and... with the right cooling... I can hit 4ghz. That's the new "okay."

He basically has the new "celeron" (although I believe there's a new celeron, too... which is old now).

And I didn't say he should stop gaming (my best friend is also a bit of a stubborn *** who makes excuses) I said, if he can afford it... he should upgrade.

Because "not okay" today will be "below minimum requirements" tomorrow. Somewhere in the cold distance there are some hit PC games coming out (Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3... to name a few) You'd kinda want to be on top of the performance curve...

You're wrong. MY processor (a B2) is "okay" by today's standards. I've got twice the level 2 cache and... with the right cooling... I can hit 4ghz. That's the new "okay."

He basically has the new "celeron" (although I believe there's a new celeron, too... which is old now).

And I didn't say he should stop gaming (my best friend is also a bit of a stubborn *** who makes excuses) I said, if he can afford it... he should upgrade.

Because "not okay" today will be "below minimum requirements" tomorrow. Somewhere in the cold distance there are some hit PC games coming out (Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3... to name a few) You'd kinda want to be on top of the performance curve...

A Core2Duo at 4 ghz is the new "okay"? That's a weird statement, I would rather call it overkill. As I said, processors are way ahead of other hardware when it comes to game requirements.

You didn't name any games that couldn't run on his friends computer because of the CPU...

Sometime there will be games that demand more than the current processors, yes. So why not upgrade to a new processor when that time comes, because today we can't say what the requirements will be in the future.
The future-proof argument is quite valid when buying a new computer, but in this case he already has a processor that's okay at the moment.

This is off-topic anyway. We're talking his problems with Crysis.

Last edited:
Not sure why people keep thinking the 8600GT can't play it, or plays it slow. Its clearly not the problem here. My laptop plays Crysis at about 32 FPS at 1280x800 with some settings on high. It has an 8600GT 512 mb.

It also doesn't seem to be the CPU since my x2 3800 1.8ghz does an ok job at crysis, and this chip is faster clock for clock.

No one has asked him what his framerates are. He is probably expecting more than the 8600 gt will give. And a 4ghz Core 2 duo is certainly more than just "okay". 3ghz is very fast for most games. His cpu is slower than core 2 duos but I don't think it's the major bottleneck here.

Back