• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get hard drive packaging for returning a drive to Seagate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

I was wondering if there was an online store that sold hard drive packaging so that I can use it to return a Seagate hard disk drive. They require anti-static bag and plastic ends for controlling vibrations or else they won't take the return. This is for an RMA as the drive is not working any longer and it's still under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering if there was an online store that sold hard drive packaging so that I can use it to return a Seagate hard disk drive. They require anti-static bag and plastic ends for controlling vibrations or else they won't take the return. This is for an RMA as the drive is not working any longer and it's still under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

If the drive is not working.... it isnt your responsibility to have anti static bags sitting around. I used bubble wrap last time I RMA'd to Seagate.

Bubble wrap and a box, make sure the drive doesnt bang around in the package and you'll be good to go :beer:

+1 on the bubble wrap. I did the same thing when I needed to RMA... Just make sure you really wrap it up and that it doesnt move around in the box at all.

last drive i sent to seagate got a antistatic bag, wrapped it in bubble wrap and stuck it in a box of packing peanuts. RMA went off without a hitch

Office stores like Office Max/Depot should have anti-static supplies. Or just visit the local UPS store and they usually have all that stuff if you don't need to buy in bulk. Call and make sure first though ;-)

You can buy the box for $10 here: https://www.wic-store.com/

I usually have a box or two laying around I use for the ocaisional HD RMA. They actually say to not use bubble wrap on Seagates website: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=8b5fd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

But I have sent some in without the Seagate stuff and had no problems with the RMA.

E

This is an old thread but one that's heavily read still I'm sure. Actually they're $15 on that site now, plus at least $10 for shipping! Pretty ridiculous considering most of us are RMA'ing a drive we paid $50 to $100 for, and now we have to pay at least $25 for a suitable box, plus the shipping costs of another $5 to $10. Starts to become hardly worth it.

I'm currently trying to RMA a 500GB 2.5" Hitachi drive and their site emphaticaly states that the drives must be returned in a foam block inside an antistatic bag, or by using a set of plastic ends and fitted box specifically designed for this size of a drive. It also emphaticaly states that bubble wrap and/or peanuts is NOT acceptabe packaging, and all drives returned in this manner will be rejected and the warranties will be voided.

Friggin ridiculous since we all know that a notebook drive secured in bubble wrap inside an antistatic bag, and inserted firmly in a box (with or without peanuts around it), is PERFECTLY safe and secure. In fact, almost every 2.5" drive I've purchased was shipped to me wrapped in bubble wrap. Don't think I've ever received one in a foam block or secured with plastic ends (although I've seen both of those used for shipping the heavier 3.5" drives.

At this point I'm pretty frustrated with Hitachi's packaging requirements.

Again I know this is an older thread but I'm about to send off a Seagate drive for RMA and wondering if they really are not going to accept it if I use bubble wrap. Seems crazy that they would not given I remember for a fact that Newegg did not ship it to me in the custom foam that they want me to ship it to them in.

Anyone had any recent experience with this issue? I'm of the mind that I'd rather just send it back on the cheap and if they void my RMA I'll just get a new drive rather than putting a lot of money in packaging up a 500g drive just to get a referb back.

I had one sent in that I used bubble wrap for. I also used an anti-static silver bag for sticking the drive into though.
Have one of those?

i sent 2 drives back to em... put em in static bags and put a very good amount of bubble wrap around em... they had no problems accepting. Just make sure you wrap in a static bag and package properly.

Very much appreciate the feedback. And yes got plenty of anti-static bags. At least one one that says Seagate on it, might be the one the drive came in but I recycle them often for various parts so, so they would be hard pressed to complain about that heh.

I'll even take some pics of how it ends up looking after I wrap the snot out of it with bubble wrap. I can then follow up and say how it goes for me.

I had to RMA a Seagate late last year. I also noticed the disclaimer, and emailed them to learn more. They took too long to respond, and so I had already shipped the HDD to them, but here is there response, and my follow-up.

Seagate said:
Dear Jason:

I have received your email regarding the packaging requirements for the replacement of the hard drive. Unfortunately, we have to obey the requirements set by SEAGATE not by NEWEGG. If we do not receive the drive in the proper packaging the warehouse will void the warranty on the drive and return the drive to you. Newegg purchases our drives as a reseller and we cannot dictate how they package and ship there products. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your business. If you have any additional questions, let me know or call us at 800-732-4283 Monday through Sunday 8:00AM - 6:00PM (CST). For your convenience we also have on-line chat assistance.

Live Assistance: Chat:
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/chat/supportchat_en.html

Regards,

Ryan L.
Seagate Global Customer Support

Phone: 800-732-4283 (North America)
00.800.4.SEAGATE (Europe)
1 800 759 109 (Asia, Australia and New Zealand)
Web: www.seagate.com/support/index.html

jason4207 said:
Ryan,

Unfortunately, I already sent the drive in. I can assure you it is packed well. Please use good judgment and inspect the packaging properly. Simply voiding my warranty over a trivial technicality is unfair in my opinion.

The drive is defective and has been giving me headaches ever since we bought it 2yrs ago. The OS just will not boot after a few months of use. All I get is a black screen and a flashing cursor. This has caused my customer a lot of frustration with us, and I have had to spend a massive amount of time and energy troubleshooting due to the spotty nature of the drive. Every few months for the past 2yrs I have had to drive 120miles round-trip to troubleshoot this issue. I have systematically tested every component, and I have to assume it's the drive giving us issues after all the trouble I've gone through. It passes all tests, but then just stops booting Windows after a few months. I reinstall Windows and it works fine...for a while. There is no virus, malware, or anything else I can detect when I put the drive in another PC to test.

Seeing as how 1TB drives can be purchased for $60-$80 now, the 250GB drive in question is only worth $15-$20 to me. Asking me to pay $20 to get your provided packing materials through advanced RMA, or $10-$20 for me to go out and fulfill your absurd packing requirements is unacceptable to me. I have plenty of packing materials here that will protect the drive just fine if it is packaged properly with care.

If you return the drive to me and void my warranty then I will throw the drive in the garbage and you will loose all future business from us. Your competitors don't have these super-strict conditions, and are happy to do advanced RMAs without having to pay anything. They do require a credit-card hold, but that is completely understandable. If you want to hold true to your packing requirements then I suggest you adopt a similar stance and process advanced RMAs without a $20 surcharge. This way you can be assured that you will get the defective drive back in your packaging without ripping off your customers. If you have a good product, you stand behind it.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Jason

I never got a follow-up, but I hope that email got read by some of the higher-ups at Seagate.

At any rate they honored my RMA w/o any problems. It's basically 2 different depts from what I can tell. Legal dept tells you their mumbo-jumbo to protect their butts. RMA dept does it's thing and processes the request like most companies.

Very informative Jason, thanks. I shipped my drive out on Tuesday but was in a hurry to get to the PO before they closed so I did take any pics. But it was packed I'd say better than how it was shipped to me from Newegg. Bubble wrapped to the 9's and very very snug in the box. The box itself would have to be seriously damaged before anything would ever happen to the drive. As such, given after all that has been said here, I'll be very surprised if they don't accept it.

I will say this thou. That if someone were be shipping a large number of drives back to Seagate I can understand stricter shipping requirements. When you have multiple items like drives in a single box the chance for them to start banging into each other is a viable concern.

However for a single drive their requirements are currently way over the top and like you I hope the high ups revise their current draconian policy.

I always save packaging when I buy new drives, and re use it to send in the occasional RMA.

WD just sent me a new raptor in a nice box, so its a keeper, small and exactly what they want.

Always save all your antistatic bags, I guess if you dont build systems you wont have any though..

Seagate shipped my new drive back to me today. Bubble wrap ftw.

Final followup: Got the drive today and to their credit they do walk the walk too. Shipped me the drive in, again overkill imo, the full on packaging that they ask for.

drivepack1.jpg

drivepack2.jpg

Last edited:
Back