• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"poor" performance with ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asimov

hi
just recived 2x16gb mtron ssd and proceeded to set them up in raid0 on my 780i mb, but the results seems wierd compared to all the reviews ive seen.

218241.jpeg

wavy line instead of a straight one and not close to 240mb/sek as i should be getting?
tried updating the bios and didnt help so iam wondering if the raid controller on the mb could be a bottleneck or something?(although i read that nvidias controllers are good?)

Software on board raid may not be appropriate for SSD. I know Intel matrix has an issue with SSD.

Software on board raid may not be appropriate for SSD. I know Intel matrix has an issue with SSD.

ICH9R's are known for probs with ssd's .... not matrix raid seems as how that spans from ICH6R - the latest ICH10R

as per the picture its way to small to make ends of it.... run the long benchmark in hdtach for better results.

I'd hardly call that "poor performance". Random access 0.1ms 200+ MB/s Burst. The wavy line is because you need may to update the firmware on the drives. Here's a review on a single 16GB MTRON @ Anandtech to compare. And a quote from boards.ie of your possible problem with the wavy line.

Well luckily and to my surprise, I couldn't be more wrong. I've always heard about using identical Raptors of the same firmware for optimal results, but I never imagined it would be the same story with the other drives, in my case with the Mtrons.
I rebooted to my bootable USB pendrive, ran the small flash utility I downloaded from the Mtron support page and I saw that my first Mtron's firmware was 16 R1 and my second's was 17 R1. So I flashed the "old" one and 30 seconds later I am back in the OS, running the same benchmarks on my RAID0 array. At this point I need to say that flashing the Mtron's firmware did not affect the data or the RAID array itself.
Well guess what? No I won't tell you, I think it's just time to post the screenshots
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I'd hardly call that "poor performance". Random access 0.1ms 200+ MB/s Burst. The wavy line is because you need may to update the firmware on the drives. Here's a review on a single 16GB MTRON @ Anandtech to compare. And a quote from boards.ie of your possible problem with the wavy line.

thus the " ", i just expected a similar graph to all the reviews, will def try the firmware upgrade! thanks!

my disks already had the newest firmware so it seems its something else, not idea what.

Back