• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 4870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hung a 12 cm fan on cords right under Accelero S1 rev. 2 and made it blow right upside. The result is I run 690/1148 without sweating (I doubt I cross 50C under load). Does this mean I could get much out of this card with a pencil mod or a BIOS tweak?

I'm getting more and more "Display driver has stopped responding and has.." these days. They still popped up before I did a bios flash but not very frequently. It happens with fullscreen video or games (just not steam games). I know that what happens is the gpu doesn't respond fast enough and windows resets it after two seconds and that you can edit the registry to up the 'wait time', but this doesn't seem right. Official word from ATi is that its not driver related its hardware. Maybe I'll try going back to the stock bios.
Also I have a second card installed, a 3870 running an additional two monitors, so my situation may be different. :shrug:

i get that too, but its mostly when i play crysis (last level) with 8.12 drivers. then i read somewhere that it maybe CCC causing most of the crashes, so i uninstalled the driver, cleaned it, then fresh installed the 8.12 'driver only' no CCC. since then i've only crashed in the last level once unlike before where it happened every 5 mins. so, i don't know, maybe ati is telling us b***s**t, our hardwares are fine, its their catalysts... i mean if CCC doesn't have any issues, why else release a 'driver only'?

I had this occur rather frequently in games with a Powercolor HD4870 PCS+ 1gb (the non-reference 2nd edit.). The card (2nd one) failed recently after 4 months (not OC'd). I had assumed this was a problem with it being a bad card and I have heard that some "stop responding" issues clear up if you lower the stock mem clocks from 925 to 900. So do you have any supporting links suggesting it is a CCC issue rather than hardware?

EDIT: Just had my 3rd Powercolor HD 4870 PCS+ 1gb fail. This time one of the DVI ports started artifacting then quit. No OC. In fact, Powercolor has lowered the factory OC to 780 from 800 on newer cards. The card is glitchy and flickers unless you lower the Memory to 900mhz (factory 925mhz). Fortunately, the Egg is giving me a refund instead of another replacement.

Last edited:
Hey guys i am getting a 4870 but after reading the last couple of Posts i am abit worried abt the brand....I thought abt a Club 3D 4870...is it good?

Edit: Thnx ...am gonna settle for a PowerColor 4870.....

Edit: Ok so just got the Club 3d 4870 OC edition....cant wait to get my hands on it

Last edited:
Club 3D OC edition 4870 with Zerotherm third party cooler @ 800/1000 clocks and stock Volt
for other specs see sig

wall of Fame ?!?:santa2:

Attachments

• bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,422
XFX HD4870 1 GB @ 805/1050.
Was stable on Furmark @ 850/1165, but crashed on Crysis and Mirrors Edge.
Might be because I didn't want to increase the fan speed even further. Using Rivatuner configuration, fan stays at 27% to 32%, 65 C at idle, 72 C at load.

oc4870.jpg

i love my xfx 512 mb with e7500 stock.. i dont have good cooling :( but i am going to buy v8 air cooler and a cooler for gpu about 100$ ... advise me...

I figured that this was probably the right place to post instead of making another "overclocking problems" thread in the ATI subforum

basically, I'll keep it short

I have two Sapphire HD4870 512mb cards installed on my intel D5400XS Skulltrail motherboard running in crossfire, and they won't overclock past the maximum 790/1100 in catayst control center.

I have tried 10.1 drivers to no avail, 10.2's locked up my system 3 times in a row while attempting an install, and right now I'm running 10.3's with ATI overdrive set to 790/1100, the maximum allowed in Catalyst

I've read up on the suggestions of using ATI tool, Riva Tuner, MSI Afterburner, and EVGA Precision, and NONE OF THEM allow me to get past the 790/1100 wall that is imposed in CCC

I've disabled overdrive and all that, but it still won't let me get pas the 790/1100 wall.

I have both cards on water and temperatures are in the low 30C's, so that's definitely not my problem

If anyone can please help me with this issue so I can fire off some higher 3D Mark scores, it would be greatly appreciated.

AMD GPU clock tool didn't work either... is changing voltages mandatory for overclocks on the 4870 cards?

I got rivatuner to overclock the card past the 790/1100, but the problem was that it only overclocked 1 of the 2 cards that I have in crossfire... fail.

AMD GPU clock tool didn't work either... is changing voltages mandatory for overclocks on the 4870 cards?

I got rivatuner to overclock the card past the 790/1100, but the problem was that it only overclocked 1 of the 2 cards that I have in crossfire... fail.

No, voltage increases are not mandatory at all, but it can lead to higher overclocks. When you say they won't overclock past the maximum in CCC, do you mean that they aren't STABLE past those or you're not able to clock it higher than that (i.e. the sliders won't go farther than that).

the sliders just won't go further than 790/1100... in any of the aftermarket overclocking utilities, it lets me set it past 790/1100, but if I click set/apply/ok, it reverts back to 790/1100, and it's really beginning to frustrate me at this point

Ahh, I think you might need to flash both cards BIOS' to something like the Asus Top Bios iirc.

I don't have much knowledge of flashing those card's BIOS' or where to find them =/

You will find , most bios files at techpowerup , they have a large library of all sort of cards , but your card is likely non reference , so i would advise against flashing.You tried Ati Tray tools ,not just Ati tool ? Because those are different,just making sure.And you did enable unofficial overclocking when using afterburner , right ?

Back