• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trent

So Ive pretty much narrowed down and locked in the hardware Im going to use for my new rig. I just wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger in a couple of weeks.

New Hardware:
CPU: E8400
Mobo: Gigabyte DS3L
Memory: 2gb GSkill PC6400
HD: Seagate baracuda 250gb sata 3.0
Vid: HD 4870

Reused Parts:
PSU: OCZ 600watt gamestream
Case: Antec tower that Ive had forever, but I plan to upgrade it at a later date most likely to an Antec 300.
Monitor: 19" BenQ lcd, its served me well for 3 years, looking at a 22" widescreen around xmas time maybe
Cooling: Scythe Infinity, since it has mounting brackets that can be interchanged from the current S939 to 775 and a few other standards.

Uncle Sam will be paying for the majority of the cost thanks to the free money stimulus check, so out of pocket is only around $100.

Get an MCH cooler. Stock one sucks and runs way too hot. You might be able to eek by if you don't increase the MCH voltage but myself and others have found that as little as a 0.1v bump can cause it to crash your system from heat issues.

Even if you have good case flow, if your ambient temps can get a bit warm you'll be able to burn your finger on the stock heatsink.

For now OS will be XP(legit) that I already have. I have a full copy of 32bit vista business as well but its currently installed on my laptop. While in the past Ive had no issue installing my XP onto the 3 desktops in the house, I feel like vista wont be so cooperative.

Jayws, I stated I was going to be reusing the Scythe Infinity that I currently have since it has multiple socket types supported including 775, not the stock intel cooler.

For now OS will be XP(legit) that I already have. I have a full copy of 32bit vista business as well but its currently installed on my laptop. While in the past Ive had no issue installing my XP onto the 3 desktops in the house, I feel like vista wont be so cooperative.

Jayws, I stated I was going to be reusing the Scythe Infinity that I currently have since it has multiple socket types supported including 775, not the stock intel cooler.

I was talking about the MCH cooler. This is the heatsink that Gigabyte puts on the northbridge of your board, it sits roughly in the center. Nobody seems to give it a second though, as you've proven, but it gets very hot. This is not your CPU.

While in the past Ive been all about OC'ing, for now I have no intention of OC'ing this machine, at least until performance vs new applications starts to fall off. So when you say I havent considered upgrading other sinks, youre right because of no OC plans. If I were going the OC route I would invest in upgraded cooling there.

While in the past Ive been all about OC'ing, for now I have no intention of OC'ing this machine, at least until performance vs new applications starts to fall off. So when you say I havent considered upgrading other sinks, youre right because of no OC plans. If I were going the OC route I would invest in upgraded cooling there.

Just trying to give you a heads up. Certain boards have no problem pushing non-extreme OC's with stock components. I've found that the DS3L is not one of them.

So Ive had a change of opinion in the last few days and have redone some of the build.

CPU: E8400
Mobo: Asus P5Q-Pro
Memory: 2gb GSkill PC6400
HD: Seagate baracuda 250gb sata 3.0
Vid: HD 4850
Case: Antec 300

Same PSU, Heatsink, DVD RW & Monitor. The change was that I decided I might want to go raid down the road.
Change in motherboard because I wanted to be able to go crossfire and potentially raid down the road.
Change in video because I decided the 4870 was overkill for my current monitor's resolution and by the time I upgrade to a 22" widescreen around xmas time, I should be able to pickup a 2nd 4850 for cheaper and in the end have more performance than a single 4870 for less money invested.

I think my gamestream 600watt should be able to handle the build as planned and the addition of a 2nd 4850.

With the change in build parts, I will also probably go for an OC towards 4ghz when I add in the 2nd 4850 as well.

Opinions? Ideas? Ill be pulling the trigger on this build in a few hours, any input will be appreciated

Last edited:
I have the E8400 running on a DS3L at 3.6 with .1v MCH increase. I don't think it's entirely stable, but at least at the stock 3.0 Ghz the northbridge has not been problematic. If you are not considering overclcoking the E8400, the DS3L is still a great choice for a cheaper motherboard. GL with your PC :thup:

Check my sig for a build that runs great with the DS3L too

Well the reason I changed the system around some is because as I said Id like to have the ability for raid & crossfire, things the DS3L cant offer.

I'd get a bigger HD, the price per GB on that 250 is probably a good margin higher than a 500 or 640 these days. The 320/640's are supposed to be nice (at least from WD).

Well I ordered it as I posted. If everything ships today from their NJ warehouse Ill have all the parts tomorrow or wed at the latest.

Jayws, I considered a bigger HD but honestly Ive got a 250gb now and it has like 160gb open. I just went with the cheaper dollar option based on my storage needs plus with the motherboard supporting raid I will probably pick up another down the road. I dont really download much anymore so I just dont need the space. Back in college I used to have ~700gb worth of drives(3-4yrs ago) in my system and it was packed, but Ive been downsizing over the years since then.

Ah lol, see I'm still in college :).

You should post pictures once you get it and start putting it together, everyone likes pictures of shinny new equipment... It's too bad you can't share the smell...

Back