Notebook for College

Hello everyone!

Well, for the past few months I've been researching into notebook computers for college. I will be attending Iowa State University as an Aerospace Engineerer. So, as you can guess performance is a must, especially with some AutoCad programs.

I'm already taking a Desktop that is really powerful, Crysis doesn't lag. However, I would still like a notebook for notes, lectures, and internet.
    Macbook Pros seem very nice, but the price is a little high - even though the minimum is a 2.4Ghz CPU. I would like something around $1,000, but anything under $1,500 could also work.

I don't like Toshiba or Compaq, sorry. Used to work for OfficeMax and those things were crap.

Any suggestions?

I almost forgot.
    The MacBook Pro has a 5 hour battery. Is that good or can you go more than that on another brand?

Through what ive read so far that is very good, i believe 2-3hours is the average for most laptops at the moment.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    I picked up a Lenovo T61 and absolutely LOVE it. Amazing build quality and price. The only thing it lacks is a dedicated video card, which is fine for me since it is purely for college (you can get it with one if you want though). You can configure them with the new Penryn dual cores, nice sized hard drives and very nice resolution screens (my 15.4" is 1680x1050 O.o). You even get them cheaper if you don't get Windows, which is what I did.

Those "5 hour battery" laptops have everything disabled, screen backlight off, no wireless, etc. My Lenovo can do just under 4 hours with CPU at full speed (no load), wireless on and screen at half brightness....I'm impressed.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

It sounds like you need a laptop for much the same things that I do. I'm looking at getting something like the Asus EEE 900/901. I had a 15" standard HP and the thing is just too big and heavy to carry around all day. I want something light with good battery performance (4 hrs +) and wireless connectivity to take notes on, check email, type up code, work on papers, etc. The 901 is supposed to be around $600 when it comes out, I think it's an attractive option. The 1000 is also appealing.
    Heat
    Asus P8P67
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.0GHz
    30c Idle / 50c Full Load w/ TRUE U120
    8GB DDR3-1866 -- 9-10-9-27-1T
    MSI GTX 460 1GB
    2TB Total HD / Antec 902 / Corsair 550VX

Yeah, well I'm not buying it for games. Even though I would like to play Gears of War on it. (My favorite game).
    Just like Jayws, I merely would like to have something so I can, for example, go to a study room and work on a paper or something.
    As for size, 15.4" seems just fine. I've worked with the 17" ones and those can get hot. As for CPU, I would like a Core 2 Duo from Intel.
    *I hate AMD*

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Then I highly recommend Lenovo
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Quote Originally Posted by thideras View Post
    Then I highly recommend Lenovo
    Seconded, consumer laptops just can't hold a candle to them.

Heck, even the new lenovo ideapad series is the one of the highest rated consumer systems available.g