• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SiS 645 comes in the 4SDA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I consider very much to buy my 1st SiS chipset mobo.
I still havent heard anything negative about that 4SDA+

What is going on?
Doesn't it have any weak points?

So far I've built 3 systems using the Epox 4SDA+/4SDA motherboard. I really like the board. My only complaint is that when you're overclocking it at the extreme, it doesn't always warmboot. Whether its a motherboard problem or not I don't know. If you back things off a bit it boots fine. My chips seem to overclock to limits that most people are getting with other boards. I like the Epox board because its stable and cheap (currently $92 for the 4SDA+ at Newegg).

Rapier

ok these guys from epox.com have a wrong picture linked.

i looked into a magazine with its test of 4sda+ and they show it with it and an additional northbridge fan.

their benchmarks show that its in the "normal" modus faster than in "ultra".:eh?:
but there its the fastest tested board

the energy balance of it is:
25% on 12V-
45% (!!!) on 5V-
30% on 3.3V-

it's with 124W the most hungry board tested only asus p4T with RDRAM took more:129W

okay okay, so i am still curious... i've seen various replies, but i'd like to get a definite answer from somebody who actually has the board...
whats the deal with pci/agp/clock ratios ?!?
actually i am planning on a 1.6A with a 512mb samsung 2700 cl2.5 stick running at fsb 133 and memclock 200... i've read that this shouldn't pose much of a problem... any comments? I am worried most about the pci clock though, but 133 fsb shouldn't be a prob... and going too much over that with the sda isn't recommended all that much anyways according to folks from this forum... does this sum things up?!?

sorry to bother again with long told things, it's just that i know jack about p4 boards and stuff and want to make absolutely sure that everything is fine...

Yes you got it right. There is a 1/4 pci divider at 120+ fsb but the board seems to lose stability around 146-147fsb if this is due to the sis645 chipset or epox or the pci devices getting too far out of spec it dosent really matter if you going to use a cpu that will run under say 145fsb you should have no problems.

Yes with the offical 2408 bios available at ftp.epox.com you can run the memory at 200mhz with the cpu at 133mhz.

I run mine at 136/204 with samsung 2700 and its rock solid.
The only time I reboot is whn I want to. The last I rebooted was about two weeks ago.

Get the 4DSA+ the small price difference is worth it.

well, thanks alot placid!!! and yeah, i need to get the sda+ anyways as i have 4 harddrives plus burner and dvd...
oh boy oh boy, i am getting all anxious to get my hands on these new toys... as i said, i am looking for pretty much the same setup as you placid... *drool*

I think the 4sda+ is an ok board but I wish I got something different such as a abit bd7 boards.
This epox mb doesn't overclock as high as I wanted.
I have found also it maxs out at 140-145FSB also.Beyond that FSB it's totally unstable no matter of other settings.I think 133 FSB is more realistic for stability on this board.
I run mine at 1.6x133mhz=2.1Ghz and memory at 200mhz.I think my p4 could do 2400mhz but the epox mb is limiting me.

Yes not a good baord for 1.6a users who want high overclocks.

Neither is the abit SD7-533. Also a sis 645 board so it is probably chipset related.

Last edited:
Sis chipset disadvantage?

Ok, I'm just starting to look into an upgrade, so please excuse my lack of (current) knowledge...

The 4SDA has a Sis chipset. Am in correct in thinking that this chipset does not provide AGP/PCI bus locking? If correct, how big of a disadvantage is this?

Second, am I right in saying that the Sis chipset officially supports DDR333 whilst Intet chipsets don't (but 4G4A does unoffically)

Thanks
--
Grumps

No AGP/PCI bus locking on sis 645 or 645dx boards.
Its a disadvantage if you have a cpu that can clock to high a fsb.

Sis chipset officially supports DDR333 whilst Intet chipsets don't is correct.

Sis unoffically supports ddr400 and Intel unoffically supports ddr333.
You have to check out what board you look at it may or may not be a option.

Last edited:
Back