• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI noob, important questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackEdition

Hey all,

i have a few important questions before i take the sli plunge.

i have a small mid tower case, a cooler master elite 330, and i am worried that the 2 8800gt's that i will be running will not get enough ventilation... i have two pci cards (wireless adapter, and xfi fatality), and thus, i will only be able to run two single-cooled cards... i will probably get a roomier case in the future, but, i can't afford to get another 8800gt, psu, and a new case. do any of you think that the ventilation will be a problem?

additionally, i would like to overclock the cards...and i will most likely be getting a second evga 8800gt. how does one go about overclocking the graphics cards when running sli? can you overclock each independently within windows? or do you have to run your system with just one of the cards and overclock it, and then do the same with the other?

i am sure that i am going to have additional questions as we discuss things in the thread. thanks!

If you mount a 120mm front panel intake and 120mm rear panel exhaust fan on that case, it should be good enough. Not great, but good enough.

If you overclock, it'll generate more heat, so you may or may not be able to get much on the clocks.

You adjust clock speeds on both cards simultaneously when overclocking with drivers, but you must flash each card individually if you want to adjust the BIOS settings. I'd reccomend just using driver-level overclocking.

can you overclock each card individually when overclocking with the drivers? or is it just one core slider for both cards?

Back