• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No boot, no screen, no nothin...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

I just replaced my stock Intel cooler with a Freezer 7 Pro in hopes of solving my heat problems.

When I attempt to boot, I get no error beeps, the LEDs on the motherboard for DRAM power and standby power are both on as well as the 4 LED set which indicates various states that says the system is booting -- but for an indefinite amount of time. I'm not sure how long it will stay on by itself, but it's longer than it could before I replaced the fan. I initially hoped it was a display problem, but I have tried it on a few displays that I know work properly.

I even noticed that my ATX pins on the motherboard were a little bent (when I decided to plug the system speaker in to check for beep codes), and thought that maybe it was somehow shorting itself and causing it to stay in a stage of booting? Anyway, I just unplugged the power switch and jumped it and no dice...so I assume that's out.

The motherboard is a DFI Lanparty UT 915P-T12. Any help?

yes, but I also tried to just short the pins to start it in case the power button was the root of the problem. unfortunately no luck :shrug:

Diagnose

This is a long procedure so be warned

Alright dismantle your rig Mobo and everything out of the case.

1 by 1 check for arc burns on any contacts between Cpu and the Socket.

Make sure your using a "TIM" Thermal interface material. use Arcits silver 5
i love it...

after completing that allow everything to be grounded residual electric charge can cause damage, or interference.

Test your PSU
while Plugged into the wall
use a bent paper clip,or anything easy thats metal ,easy to bend and thin. And short the GREEN wire with any BLACK wire.

If the power supply is good then you will see the lights/fans turn on on the power supply

Reassemble your rig making sure that nothing metal is in contact with any electrical pins, capacitor cans, and finally you might buy a can of compressed air "you have to be 18 to buy it". Clean everything.

after reassmbling the case ground it for at least 5 seconds.

Clear the CMOS. Either by unplugging the computer and removing the battery for 5 secconds or just find the "CMOS clear" jumper.

then try to turn it on.

if it fails again remove 1 component at a time. and retry untill your left with just your mobo and CPU no RAM.

If that still has not fixed your problem i have 3 guesses for whats wrong

1. CPU core was cracked during installation of your new cooler.
2. MOBO fried due to a number of reasons
3. Your BIOS ROM was damaged and you need to replace your Mobo

I think the motherboard could be the culprit since I saw what looked like blue goo under one of the capacitors, but it worked recently and I think that had already happened.

The CPU itself may have just died from overheating, but considering how much heat modern processors seem to handle I don't know how likely that is.

EDIT: I managed to get some error beeps out of it by booting with no CMOS battery, but once I cleared it and put it back it's doing the same thing. Would a dead ROM account for my system being stuck in the boot process?

Last edited:
Since it's about a 90% chance that my motherboard is the problem, I'm looking to replace this 915. Newegg doesn't have any boards that support my video card and RAM, does anyone know a decent source for older hardware? Am I pretty much stuck with classies/ebay or are there any e-tailers out there that might have something?

Back