• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unlocking on KR7A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slick306

Has anyone sucessfully unlocked an XP and been able to have the CPU run at XP2000+ on the KR7A? I have been trying for hours, and my best attempt was 12x133mhz for XP1900+ I can't seem to get the 13x multiplier to work (for 12.5) anyone else found this?

Slick.

According to the cpu rankings here, it can. I have my first xp1600 chip and have not played with it as of yet but I would not be too impressed if it did not best my T-bird 1.4 at 1.77.

Your never gettin 1.7+ out of a 1600+ man... :) Well, it would be a very special CPU if you did... Most of the ones I hear can do 1600 no problem, and after that most need large voltage increase. at 1700mhz a colt mod is usually necesarry. I have been able to get mine to post at 1750 at 1.85 volts.. But I mean hey you might have a special one.

Slick..

I don't have any problems setting any multipliers with my 1600+, but there's no way I can get it up to 1667Mhz with the air cooling I'm using now. I think I've gotten a pretty good 1600+, and I'm currently able to run it at 1630Mhz with a SK6/Delta "screamer" @ 2.1v.

A 1600+ is running at 1.4Ghz right? As I type this my 1.4 t-bird is running at 2.33v and 43c (dropped one degree in the last hour) at 1.77Ghz. Am trying to get it to 1.8. Did get it in at 1.85 the other night and did a little testing but it was not stable. The chip has posted at 1.82. I believe that the xp was supposed to run cooler and therefore the possibility of 1.8 was within reach. Am running just a waterblock so it might be on the outer edge but is still within reason. Got my 750 duron to run at 1120 and this chip to 1.77 so far but can't seem to get to 1.8........

Ahh, okay watercooling... I am running AIR... On water I can see 1.7ghz no problem, especially with those voltages!. :) nice oc...

Slick

Well, I am in the middle of unlocking my xp, so I could have been limited before by me video card, or memory or some other things before. So I don't know. But I know if you gave this chip 2.2v it would probably do 1800mhz or more! Hehe...

Slick

slick306 said:
Well, I am in the middle of unlocking my xp, so I could have been limited before by me video card, or memory or some other things before. So I don't know. But I know if you gave this chip 2.2v it would probably do 1800mhz or more! Hehe...

Slick

That is what I am looking for, yes.......I hope. BTW the chip has dipped into 42c during the last fifteen minutes but did not stay. I am waiting for that temp dip. It has always (for me) been after that when it will go farther. At 42c right now. Air 22.2c, water at 16.9c and still running stability check in back ground.

slick306 said:
But I know if you gave this chip 2.2v it would probably do 1800mhz or more!
Slick

Good luck, I doubt it. :beer:

If the chip was able to run that fast it wouldn't be ranked a 1600+. The TB1400 was often a great overclocker because it was the fastest standard T-bird made. Since there wasn't any other speed grade to bump it up to, the 1.4 is the cream of the crop. The XP 1600+ on the other hand, is a low-end XP. Not nearly as much headroom, especially when the next model up is only 70Mhz faster.

Well the t-bird finally got in at 1800. Very unstable. Windows fully booted however when I brought up Sisoft Sandra and tested the processor it shortly thereafter froze. Will keep at it. On the cpu rankings here at overclockers they show many hitting 1.8 on the 1600+. Do you think those are T-birds?

Quite honestly, I think they are either peltier+watercooling or better, or flat-out lies. Alot of overclockers seem to have a talent for exaggeration.

A number of interesting things to note. Used epxoy to seal the holes and then messed up on the bridges. Acetone to remove all traces of both the defog paint and epoxy. Today I redid all with no problems and success. BTW after using the acetone the chip looked just like it did when I bought it. The xp1600 does not like the 13 multiplier on this board. I did get it up to 1.72 so far at 2.22v. The really interesting things are that on this board with sdram it went to 152 cas2 which is closing in on the low end of ddr. Heat is the other interesting thing as there is close to none when compared to my T-bird. The highest I have been able to get it so far is about 34c. I would however take this with a grain of salt due to the electrical circuitry below the chip. The chip does post at 1.83 though I have not really played with this to find out if this is the limit. It does not like really high voltage at all. I am really anxius to try it on a board that does allow a higher fsb and is designed for it. I will have to wait for now and break the chip in some. Performance is close to but below the T-bird in all areas as of this time, save of course for SSE however the t-bird tested out higher under 3dnow. This chip does however "feel" faster. Has to be the fsb.

slick306 said:
Where can I buy acetone? is this nail polish remover?

Slick

Hardware store in the paint department I believe. I used it on about three q-tips and cleaned things up real purty. I did use nail polish remover but I would make sure it has no additives and is in fact acetone (some are not). Check the label.

Presently am running the XP1600 at 1.734 Ghz and am going to do some burning there. I believe with a faster mobo and ddr she may hit 1.8. As I stated before she will post higher than the t-bird 1.4. I don't know if there is enough headroom though. Love the temps (35c under load with 2.22v). It is really picky about voltage.

BTW, what is the formula to convert Mhz to xp ratings?

Back