• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$460 GTX280 and $260 GTX260 AMIR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yowza those are some massive price drops. The GTX 260 is priced right now in price/performance, the GTX 280 is still not a good buy although the price is at least nearly sane now.

A step in the right direction, they were so "ridiculously expensive". Now the GTX260 is "reasonable" and the GTX280 is "more than I'm willing to spend on a video card". ATI definitely needs to price drop the 4870s ASAP.

Sadly, GX2 still beats GTX 280 pricewise. 2 GX2's on the egg for $390.. Now, if GTX 280 could hit that....

+1 to the 4870 needing a drop as well, it would be a good $230 card, noone would buy a GTX+ if they did that :)

I like to say its about time ATI gets realistic with their competition, but they can't keep up with the price war for more than a few weeks it seems. I also think they should have capitalized on Ageia like nVidia did. That and the merge with AMD were 2 mistakes that put them a step behind.

If the 3800 series was released instead of the crappy 2900, and the 4800 at the time the 3800 was released, etc...this would be as interesting as it was in the old days. =(

the 280GTX is still a ripoff @ 460$ imo, those 3rd party card manufacterers are trying to unload as many as they can before Nvidia does a 55nm die refresh.

260GTX is semi-decent, but still not worth it either.

ATI is FINALLY in a position where they can make a nice lil profit off the 4870 @ 300$, let them have their time in the sun.

4850 is the way to go atm

A step in the right direction, they were so "ridiculously expensive". Now the GTX260 is "reasonable" and the GTX280 is "more than I'm willing to spend on a video card". ATI definitely needs to price drop the 4870s ASAP.

The main thing holding up 4870 prices atm seems to be lack of supply. Once they are easy to find I'm sure the price will drop a bit and I'd say it's worth a little more than the GTX 260.

The main thing holding up 4870 prices atm seems to be lack of supply. Once they are easy to find I'm sure the price will drop a bit and I'd say it's worth a little more than the GTX 260.

It's a question on the RAM again.

Until the RAM fails it holds up, which is pretty amazing considering the bandwidth of it, but it eventually will fail. Brings in mind the 320MB vs. 640MB debate.

With them being around the same price it comes down to overclocking, and for my screen resolution (1600x1200) the HD4870 looks like a better buy.

I'll wait for eventual price drop :santa:

Holy price drop Batman!

55nm 260/280GTX out in a few weeks? Man things are moving fast! I knew this summer was going to have some crazy competition, but this is more than I imagined.

Holy price drop Batman!

55nm 260/280GTX out in a few weeks? Man things are moving fast! I knew this summer was going to have some crazy competition, but this is more than I imagined.

Nvidia had better move fast or they won't be in business for long :)

Let's hope for a dual 55nm G92b card soon if not a dual 55nm GT200 card!

If they don't do something like that, R700 gonna wipe them out completely :p

nice price drops! the 280 isn't worth it for the performance at that price still. On the midend 4870 and 260 about same, with 4870 little better cause its 55nm and it is DX10.1 and faster than 260 on most games. The 4850 is no competition on the low end right now. Selling at 150AR in newegg and other places, this one is the real killer.

Can we not have an ATI vs Nvidia war in here? I can see some posts that look like total flame bait. The 4x series from ATI is absolutely amazing and this price drop from Nvidia is because of that. Do you not see that? AMD is not selling for any kind of loss at the moment and I was under the impression that they can continue to drop the price on the 4870 if they see fit and still make a profit.

The 4870x2 is expected to drop at $499 and be significantly faster than the GTX 280 (which is now at that same price).

More like, finally, Nvidia decided to try to price their cards closer to what they are worth but they still need to be dropped another $100 if they want to compete. I honestly have no idea how you see your 4870 purchase as "regrettable" as it will drop in price just like these Nvidia cards did. That's what happens when you buy early. If you had bought a 260 early you would have been saying the same exact thing "I regret purchasing my 260 early". That's just what happens when you buy new technology as soon as it comes out.

Back