• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mass Effect, overrated. Spoilers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think frame rates have anything to do with the gun constantly overheating and the character locking into 'hide behind the wall mode' continuously. It made it impossible to strafe back and forth to take shots, and when I would have a shot, he'd lock and drop in to 'hide mode. It got very frustrating.'

I've yet to hit a game to stumble the rig until I cranked AA up to 8xs in Crysis. it hums along nicely at 4x no probs and I don't think this game comes close to testing the system like Cyrsis.

Mass Effect is rather demanding on PCs, especially cranked up and at high resolution.

Your gun overheating is probably because Saren uses the sabotage biotic power. Stay away from walls if you have trouble controlling the cover system. Finally, use the spacebar to tell your teammates to use lift and other powers against Saren.. Or use them yourself if you have them....

I don't think being bad at a game is a fair reason to call it a bad game :)

Mass Effect is a strange case.

It has all the ingredients of an awesome game - great graphics, a tried and tested RPG system (from the KOTOR games), a semi-interesting story etc.

Yet I find it... boring.

I stopped playing after 2-3 hours. I mean, I understand that its a good game, it just didn't do it for me.

The funny thing is that both KOTOR games, belong IMHO in the list of greatest games ever created.

You could say that ME is simply a KOTOR game without the force powers and lightsabers. But its not that simple.

While KOTOR was completely immersive, while playing ME I felt completely detached. I never got into the story (which was very, very cliched). I never felt as if I accomplished something while leveling up and finishing missions.

I may give the game another chance in the near future... But for now my verdict is: boring :/

I guess ME just does not transcend as well as some games. I absolutely loved it. I love the universe they created. There were flaws sure.

I disagree with the using elevators to replace load screens is worse. That just seems rediculous, I thought it was clever and worked well. The combat is better than KOTOR, poor, how? Its not a true FPS, what were you looking for? Halo? You should be happy there were not a ton of planets you could land on with nothing to do, you would probably be more upset than you already seem to be.

On the PC the loading is no prob, very fast imo.

I have been greatly enjoying the game, currently I have just over 100 hours into it and I find it very enjoyable. I have been taking my time exploring all the planets and galaxies and stuff and I find the story sucks me in, the characters are believeable, and I like how the combat works. The only thing that stinks about the game is the long elevators (I bought it on Xbox prior to the announcement of the PC version). I am sorry that you don't like it but I find it lives up to its hype.

Mass Effect is rather demanding on PCs, especially cranked up and at high resolution.

Your gun overheating is probably because Saren uses the sabotage biotic power. Stay away from walls if you have trouble controlling the cover system. Finally, use the spacebar to tell your teammates to use lift and other powers against Saren.. Or use them yourself if you have them....

I don't think being bad at a game is a fair reason to call it a bad game :)

Duh? Another unsupported conclusion. Man, ya'll are really throwing them at me today. First I pirated the games and now I'm a 'bad' gamer. geez! So I'm the only person that had problems with the 'auto hide' feature when you walked up to a wall or rock or anything.I don't think I was bad at the game, as I said, the game was bad. Actually, once again, overrated. But my opinion is dropping rather rapidly as vapid fan boys continue to pounce and discredit any discussion that deviates from solid praise, even though based on personal experience. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one, just not everyone wears theirs around their neck!:eek:

Duh? Another unsupported conclusion. Man, ya'll are really throwing them at me today. First I pirated the games and now I'm a 'bad' gamer. geez! So I'm the only person that had problems with the 'auto hide' feature when you walked up to a wall or rock or anything.I don't think I was bad at the game, as I said, the game was bad. Actually, once again, overrated. But my opinion is dropping rather rapidly as vapid fan boys continue to pounce and discredit any discussion that deviates from solid praise, even though based on personal experience. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one, just not everyone wears theirs around their neck!:eek:

For 1080p play, your system is in fact marginal. Expect about 25 fps average with dips as low as 20, at least if it's maxed..

I don't see any response regarding the sabotage power being used on you in the final battle either.

Resorting to namecalling isn't going to convert anyone to your cause :)

Fighting Sauren now. zoom only works half the time and he gets to overheat your weapons every 5 seconds.

Oh.

And as far as frame rates I know it never dropped into visible (27fps) stuttering so I had no cause to run Fraps on it and do an actual frame check. It ain't the latest and greatest but it gets the job done.

Minimum, and that is not marginal, off the ME box is: p4, 1 g ram, gf 6800. I think my specs exceed that by a trifle.

And what cause? This was an open discussion on my opinion towards a recently released game.

So now we're going to bash my rig? Ok guys you win. I quit.

And I won't be checking frame rates either as the games been sold. C ya!

Last edited:
Back