• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bootable usb key for volt mod not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackEdition

i am trying to do the bios volt mod for the 8800gt, but i am running into a roadblock. i have used the hp flash drive formatting utility, and downloaded the proper win98 files necessary to make a bootable flash drive.

i go into the bios and change the boot order and place "removable" first. then, when i try to boot, it says "invalid system disk, please insert and press any key" or something to the effect.

what is going wrong?

i have seen some discrepancies as to whether or not to use a FAT file system or a FAT32 file system, but other than that, i am out of ideas.

help! :bang head

i did that...

i went into the bios options and changed the boot order...

FAT32 is the file system that you format the key to, correct?

Make sure you have all the files for the 98 bootdisk. Or, try using the ntfs for formatting the drive.

well, i don't have the option of making it bootable when i try to format it to ntfs.

can you possibly post a link to the win98 files? maybe i have an incomplete bunch. also, if you could post any info that you referenced when you learned how to do it?

i can't understand why the usb key isn't working...

i only have three options, FAT, FAT32 and NTFS...

i have tried with both FAT and FAT32, and neither seemed to work. what could be wrong?

could it be something in the bios blocking the booting?

does anyone have a link to the appropriate win98 boot files?

Ah man took me a good 2 years to find the evil files need to boot my PC with. Some editing and piecing of files together and finally wallah I got it. Its a rather small amount of files.

If you PM me your e-mail I can send you files that should work. You must be formatted for FAT on the USB drive as well.

Your problem is specifying 'Removable' I think, on all my boards a thumb drive appears in the HD list under boot options. Open that and select the USB drive.

thanks everyone, i figured it out. as El<(')>Maxi has indicated, i didn't realize that after formatting to FAT, the computer recognized the flash drive as a hard drive. thanks for all your help!

Back