• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding good xfire board!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

So I am looking to build a new system and am having trouble finding a good motherboard that has the following:

1. Needs to be able to overclock the 9450 pretty well.
2. Needs to have raid on-board.
3. Needs to have good crossfire support for 2 4870's. So no dropping both down to x8, I want 2x 16x slots when running crossfire :).

Anyone have any suggestions? I have never had good experience w/ a Gigabyte board, but I guess I am open to anything (worked on about 5 Gigabyte boards, all have has BIOS's fail/mess up and other odd stuff happen. never had it happen on another brand).

try the Asus gaming boards (ROG), the Intel chipset ones.
Maximus Formlua (X38), Rampage Formula (X48), Maximus Formula II (P45)

intel chipsets support Crossfire and i am sure they're all PCI-E 16x crossfire supported. they're high end boards, so i doubt they'd be 8x crossfire.

not sure abuot on board raid, but these boards must have evreything. you could check

I can't remember which ones I was looking up (Maximus Formula II I believe..) but I have read that when you insert 2 vid cards, those x16 slots clock down to x8 slots. Anyone know for sure which ones do and which ones don't?

1. Needs to be able to overclock the 9450 pretty well.
2. Needs to have raid on-board.
3. Needs to have good crossfire support for 2 4870's. So no dropping both down to x8, I want 2x 16x slots when running crossfire :).

These are standard features on intel boards. If you want run crossfire pick something with x38 or x48 chipest. Asus makes both

What memory will be running ddr2 or ddr3?

Last edited:
I think P45 runs Crossfire at 16x/8x PCIe 2.0 instead of 16x/16x PCIe 2.0, it sounds like you'll want X38 or X48. I suggest X38 because it's more affordable.

I will look into them, thanks :). Any recommendation on a specific x38/x48 board?

DDR2 preferred, but DDR3 works as well.

Back