• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX280 power supply requirements??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Google didn't find any. But instead I took the info off of Guru3d's review http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-review-test/11

It states:pC in Idle = 184 Watt
PC 100% usage (wattage gaming Peak) = 363 Watt

A GeForce GTX 280 requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

It states:pC in Idle = 184 Watt
PC 100% usage (wattage gaming Peak) = 363 Watt

A GeForce GTX 280 requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

Right but their test showed that the entire system used 363 Watts, not just the Video card. That's actually not too much and I am sure that my Corsair 620 would be fine running a GTX280 and probably even 2 of them considering that PSU really puts out close to 800 Watts.

I have a 750 Watter with a single 60 Amp rail.. I'm good to go.... But from what I've read, the GTX 280 only uses 25 watts in windows. It throttles down.. and from the look of GPU-Z, it does...

Even though it says a 550 watt PSU is the minimum, be a bit leary if this is what you have. I'll give an example. I got the 280 a few days ago. I had an Antec 550 watt Neo HE power supply. I figured that would be enough as it ran my previous 8800 GTX just fine. Well it was not the case with the 280. When playing games, after a short period (usually 5-10 minutes or so), the vid card would simply drop out of the system. Monitor would go into standby and vid card fan would stop spinning completely (and no, the card was not overheating). Everything else would continue running except the vid card. I could reboot and the vid card would come back online and everything would be fine until I tried to play a game again. I knew it had to be either the PSU or the vid card was bad. I then bought a Corsair TX750w PSU. Hooked it up and haven't had this problem since. So word of warning, all PSU's and wattages are not necessarily equal. Make sure you do indeed have enough juice for this puppy. I would say forget the minimum and give yourself some cushion. These comments are from a real world experience.

BTW, the reason I chose the Corsair was it had a single 60 amp 12v rail. This made me very happy as I no longer had to think about which rail was hooked up to what and I'm pretty impressed with it.

Last edited:
I have an OCZ 600w with 72amp spread out across 4x 12v rails. My only concern is that it only has the 2x 6 pin connectors, not a 6 pin and 8 pin that the GTX280 requires.

You can get a simple 6 pin to 8 pin adapter. The extra two pins are just grounds.

Well the EVGA one I'm looking at comes with an 8 pin converter that converts 2x 6 pins to an 8, then a 6 pin converter that converts 2x standar molex connectors into a 6 pin. That's at least what the picture looks like...

Hi guys long time reader, first post

Iv had my gigabyte gtx280 for 3 weeks and killed 2 power supply's
1st one was my old Atrix 650w rated @ 37amp (dead in 1 week)
2nd was a cheap titan 850w rated @ 40amp (dead in less than 2 weeks)

both have dead mosfets and died with out warning, im guessing the card was drawing to much power from the psu and cooked the mosfets ????

So Choose your power supply carefully :)

To the OP: I have the PCP&C 750w Silencer and it runs it just fine. I am going to throw in a spare 8800GTS 512M card I have lying around for the Physics add-in. I am sure it will run both with ease.

The EVGA 280GTX card I purchased came with a 2x6pin to 8pin adapter.

Hi guys long time reader, first post

Iv had my gigabyte gtx280 for 3 weeks and killed 2 power supply's
1st one was my old Atrix 650w rated @ 37amp (dead in 1 week)
2nd was a cheap titan 850w rated @ 40amp (dead in less than 2 weeks)

both have dead mosfets and died with out warning, im guessing the card was drawing to much power from the psu and cooked the mosfets ????

So Choose your power supply carefully :)

As a long time reader you should know better than to use a '650 watt' PSU with only 37 amps on the 12v - that's only 444 watts, and the '850' with a 40 amp 12v rail is only 480 watts :p

Hopefully they didn't take anything else out with them! :beer:

:welcome:

As a long time reader you should know better than to use a '650 watt' PSU with only 37 amps on the 12v - that's only 444 watts, and the '850' with a 40 amp 12v rail is only 480 watts :p

Hopefully they didn't take anything else out with them! :beer:

:welcome:

Yeah i knew the 650w would'nt keep up i thought it would of lasted a bit longer though, as for the 850w i got ripped off as it was, doomed from the start, but thats another story

Back