• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Dragon Case - A Thideras Modded 830 Stacker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Made some custom cables tonight. I got a few left to do, but I'm very close to having this done. The first cable was a 6pin to dual 6/8pin GPU cables. The second cable was three SATA power cables, spaced for my SSD and DVD/BR drives up top.

This is the 6pin to dual 6/8pin GPU breakout cable. Made to run around the back of the motherboard tray and up under the video card.
wmgt_3-27-2011_1.JPG

Close-up of the 6/8pin end that plugs into the video card. It has the option to be either, in case I decide to upgrade video cards.
wmgt_3-27-2011_2.JPG

Internal shot with no stock cables or SATA cables. Front panel and USB cables are held down with an anchor.
wmgt_3-27-2011_3.JPG

Internal shot with no stock cables or SATA cables. This look close to what the end product will be.
wmgt_3-27-2011_4.JPG

Please excuse the lighting, this was the only way I could show the cables. You can see two anchors on the "L" bracket in the back. This will eventually be used to tie down cables once they are all made.
wmgt_3-27-2011_5.JPG

Shot of the back side. Very clean. :thup:
wmgt_3-27-2011_7.JPG

Panel fits!
wmgt_3-27-2011_6.JPG

Here are the two cables for the front hard drive cages. They go through holes and are completely invisible from the front. Breakout cable goes from the fan controller, through the case itself (PITA...), through an anchor and finally to the fan connectors.
wmgt_3-27-2011_8.JPG

Last edited:
I'm debating whether to do punch down type SATA cables for the hard drive bays or using crimp style. The difference is that the punch down will be flat against the hard drives, which looks cleaner. The problem I ran into was that the connection was flaky. The upside is that the parts are substantially cheaper, easier to make and look cleaner.

I made an order last night for the SATA connectors. I'm going to try and make my own!

Data corruption, here I come.

Great case BTW. I've had a hard time finding SATA cables of the right length for my last build. Didn't have the guts to build a set though...

I made an order last night for the SATA connectors. I'm going to try and make my own!

Data corruption, here I come.

Let me know how this comes out for you. I've been looking for someone I can pay to make me some customer length SATA cables. I tried shortening a few of mine, cutting a chunk out of the middle and soldering the ends back together, but my soldering skills aren't up to the task :(

Absolutely. This will be the thread that gets updated.

I have materials for 5 cables on hand, just to try it out. They are incredibly small and I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to do this; but I'll try. I may have to order solid core cable, though. The strands could make this difficult.

Thanks. :p

I need to buy some wax for the case and do a proper cleaning. It has been long time since I've done anything with it and it is a bit dirty. I'm hoping to hold off until I upgrade, but I'm not sure I can wait that long.

Yea, my rig is less than a year old. I took apart my 6850 to put some arctic silver on there, and man...I was disappointed. Needed my trusty can o' air already.

Here are the final pictures, right before I boxed it up to sell it. I used Meguiar's car wax and gave it a good cleaning. I've gutted all my custom wires, fans, and hard drive cages.
dragon_case_1.JPG
dragon_case_2.JPG
dragon_case_3.JPG
dragon_case_4.JPG
dragon_case_5.JPG
dragon_case_6.JPG
dragon_case_7.JPG
dragon_case_8.JPG
dragon_case_9.JPG
dragon_case_10.JPG
dragon_case_11.JPG
dragon_case_12.JPG