• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rocketfish PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
41 on the 12's is 492 watts. Add 170 and you got 662. Not quite 700. By way of comparison, the Corsair VX550W is also rated for 41 amps on the 12v.

I'd say the 700 watt rating is if the unit was caught under a tree in a thunderstorm.

Great so basically they are being less than truthful about what they are selling to the consumer right ? this is false advertising is it not ?

Great so basically they are being less than truthful about what they are selling to the consumer right ? this is false advertising is it not ?

I'm sure somewhere it'll say 'peak output' or 'max output' in tiny print. False advertising IMHO but I'm sure their lawyers figured out a way to overrate it. Like those home theater in a box systems with giant '1000 WATTS' on the side of the box and fine print that says 'measured at 1khz, 25% THD' which basically means it'll test at 1000 watts for a split second with horrible response but technically can hit 1000 watts..

its a little misleading but not false advertising. they say 700W peak. but most other PSU manufacturers list the continuous rating on the box.

Well that sucks I am going to get a different PSU and keep this one for a backup . Monday I will do this .

did you say you spend $180 on this psu?
I would return it to BB, and I find nothing wrong with that since you didn't void any warranty. BB do have good return policy, don't they?
Get your refund and spend on something else proven to be good, like some already mention above, and for less too.

did you say you spend $180 on this psu?
I would return it to BB, and I find nothing wrong with that since you didn't void any warranty. BB do have good return policy, don't they?
Get your refund and spend on something else proven to be good, like some already mention above, and for less too.

Agreed. No sense is wasting money on a highly underwhelming PSU.

Best Buy doesn't care about returns. I have returned TWO 3870's to the same store in one day because of my own ignorance (PCI-E 2.0 wasn't compatable with the mobo) and they didn't care at all.

Again, it is NOT worth keeping as a backup. For about the same price, you can get two Corsair HX520s, use one, and keep one as a much better backup :)

I have no real idea what I'm talking about there short of the fact that OEM and custom models can be quite different :) That was just a completely random example.

@OP: Take that back to Best Buy ASAP. If you're friendly and just tell them that it doesn't perform as well as you thought it would, they'll likely not bother with the restocking fee (I've returned a couple X-Fi cards, a video card, and several wireless network things to the Best Buy near me and never been charged for restocking). Just make sure it's nicely repackaged.

Get an HX520W/HX620W.

Amazon.com has them for $104.99/$139.99.
NewEgg has them for $119.99/$164.99 ($99.99/$139.99 MIR).

Both have free shipping.

Seconded. If you're already questioning the PSU why bother keeping it? Buy a known good quality PSU, return that unknown to BB once the other is delivered and be done with it.

we've established that

We've established only that it's a CWT. Spectre has established the specific model, the 550W PSH. This makes it cousin to the Corsair VX550 and Thermaltake Toughpower line, which makes it a good 550W.

It just doesn't fly as a 700W... there is a difference between overrating and bad build quality. One doesn't necessarily follow the other.

they have 4 550W models. 2 of which could not be mistaken for the RF PSU. im just saying that looking at the pictures and ratings its easy to figure out.

Comprehensive review of the Rocketfish 700w PSU

The Rocketfish 700w is a solid PSU worth the money if you can get it for less then $150. the OEM price on it is at $59. So finding one for less then $100 online is easy. The link below is a very comprehensive review of the unit.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/556

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/556 said:
However, power isn’t everything. Ripple and noise levels were far above we wanted to see, it doesn’t come with four video card cables, the video card cables don’t use 6/8-pin connectors and comes with just one year warranty (all power supplies from well-known manufacturers come with at least 3-year warranty in the United States). These flaws can’t be tolerated on a USD 165 product.

Not worth the money. Ripple/noise are bad. One year warranty is hideous. Your buying choices are eBay for $40-$50, where you're likely not going to be able to obtain warranty support, and Best Buy, where it is $170. A Corsair HX520 can be had from NewEgg for $114.99, 15% off until 10/31 is $97.74, then there is a $15 MIR, for a grand total of a little over $80. A vastly better unit than any Rocketfish rebrand, with little to no ripple/noise, and a five year warranty. Pretty much any unit built by Seasonic will be better quality, have a five year warranty, most likely have a quieter fan, be more efficient, and be less expensive.

My husband bought this PSU for me for Christmas, and I only just now got around to installing it. He had bought the old Huntkey Rocketfish PSU for himself ages ago, so when I saw that this one was modular, and had a different UL, I was curious to see what it actually was. Very disappointed that it's not even the 600w continuous that the Huntkey was, but it gets points for being modular. Haven't had noise problems with it, either.

Anyway, the point of this post was merely to throw up a manual scan that I saw some people looking for.

Also: Nowhere on the box does it say this, but in the manual, it does indeed say "700w peak 550w continuous." Phooey. Wish I'd opened it sooner. Too late now.

e161451.jpg

Back