• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rocketfish PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson

The other day the BFG 650W PSU of mine went out again (Yes for the 2nd time ) . I had to get a new one and well found a 700W Rocketfish at best buy and as I need a lot of power I went for it . To the tune of 180+ Bucks .
Any one have any thing good to say about them ? I like the looks and so far it is holding up well . Time will tell . are they a bad PSU ?

They apparently have a low RMA rate - I wouldn't panic just yet. I actually have one of those things powering a rig upstairs... still need to pull it out of there and see how it's holding up.

They apparently have a low RMA rate - I wouldn't panic just yet. I actually have one of those things powering a rig upstairs... still need to pull it out of there and see how it's holding up.

How long have you had it ? May I ask what kind of a machine you have it in ?
I am kinda panicky now that I spent so much cash on this PSU . to hear that is is a step down from the BFG that went out 2 times on me . :screwy:

It's actually a Huntkey Titan engineering sample... powering an old P4. Probably about 6 months old at this point. Probably the best build quality you're ever going to get out of a Huntkey, but still uses questionable capacitors almost all the way through the unit.

It's actually a Huntkey Titan engineering sample... powering an old P4. Probably about 6 months old at this point. Probably the best build quality you're ever going to get out of a Huntkey, but still uses questionable capacitors almost all the way through the unit.

That makes me feel better .
What should I be looking at for my computer then ?

My usual advice for middle of the road units is to run it for a year and then replace it again.

That's Topower for you. Also average quality, but better than Huntkey. When Topowers work, they usually last a good while. A lot of people still swear by their OCZ Powerstreams, even though I've seen them fail sometimes three in a row too.

BTW - BFG is getting away from Topower now. Most of the new stuff is Andyson or Fore Point. Got a Fore Point based unit in line for review Monday if I can ever get it written up.

So tell me what PSU should I be getting ? I am so confused right now I just want what is best for my computer some thing that will hold up under loads and time as well . Thank you .

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

A rather large number of rather detailed reviews.

Corsair HX520 would be fine for your system. You might want to go for a 620, though, Xtreme PSU Calculator tells me your system is using at least 480 watts. A 620 would give you a bit more headroom for any future additions.

Last edited:
Cool thank you both .
I have been reading a lot so far and have run across this 80PLUS certified what is this ? Is this good ? and one more thing I see this is also a rating they have given the rocketfish .

It means it's proven to be 80% efficient or better thoughout operating range. Does nothing to tell you about build quality - just that the design is efficient.

It means it's proven to be 80% efficient or better thoughout operating range. Does nothing to tell you about build quality - just that the design is efficient.

OK cool thanks I am looking at the Corsair VX550 it looks great !
Thank You all so much . man it is so very hard to chose a PSU .

apparently Rocketfish has a new PSU out thats modular. im not sure if its still the same manufacturer or not. have you had a chance to check that one out oklahoma?

Back