• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rocketfish PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CWT is a big step up from Huntkey. The VX550 I recommended is a CWT.

http://www.cwt.com.tw/english/2_product/1_detail.php?ID=1112

HEY WTF ?? Is this not false advertising ? They say this is a 700W PSU and here it is saying 550W What the hell did I buy ???

Best Buy probably put somewhere buried in the manual or in fine print on the box '700w peak output' which could mean it will output 700 watts when struck by lightning or for .0001 seconds.. Same thing shady car amp makers do :)

Can ya throw up a picture of the label on the PSU? The one with the little chart?

Best Buy probably put somewhere buried in the manual or in fine print on the box '700w peak output' which could mean it will output 700 watts when struck by lightning or for .0001 seconds.. Same thing shady car amp makers do :)

Can ya throw up a picture of the label on the PSU? The one with the little chart?
Sure I will try .

You're looking at two different units AFAICT. The one listed on the Rocketfish site is RF-700WPS. The one you linked to is RF-700WPS2. 700W in the model name of a 550W unit is odd, though. Also note that non-OEM power supply "makers" (ex. Corsair) can have things changed from the stock model. The stock models that Corsair power supplies are based on don't have solid caps, but Corsair's versions do. Just because your power supply shares a model number with an OEM (Channel Well) part does not necessarily mean it has the same internal components.

You're looking at two different units AFAICT. The one listed on the Rocketfish site is RF-700WPS. The one you linked to is RF-700WPS2. 700W in the model name of a 550W unit is odd, though. Also note that non-OEM power supply "makers" (ex. Corsair) can have things changed from the stock model. The stock models that Corsair power supplies are based on don't have solid caps, but Corsair's versions do. Just because your power supply shares a model number with an OEM (Channel Well) part does not necessarily mean it has the same internal components.

Seeing how CWT has the PSU listed under it's own 'Best Buy' section and the model number is the same, I'd guess it's the same unit. The old WPS version got a horrible review from [h], let me dredge up a link..

OK, here: http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ5MSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Dunno if the new version is any better, but I'd love to see the sticker from the side of the thing..

OK then here is the best I can do for the panel vies the box says it is a RF-700WPS2 . I don't know but I hate to be dooped when it comes to paying out almost 200 bucks for some thing it better be what it says or I am going to be ****ed off !

psujf8.jpg

Crud, they only list the max 'per rail' and not maximum total.. If those numbers were true, it would be a (3.3*30)+(5*28)+(12*18)+(12*18)+(12*16)=99+140+216+216+192=863 watt unit, which it clearly ain't :)

No real chart in the manual either?

The stock models that Corsair power supplies are based on don't have solid caps, but Corsair's versions do.

Solid caps do next to nothing for a computer SMPS, and only the HX1000 uses them in any large numbers. The capacitor difference between a VX550 and a CWT 550W PSH often amounts to Nippon Chemi-Con instead of Samxon... that's it.

OK here is a way better pic and you can even see the DATE on it too .

newpsulf0.jpg

Solid caps do next to nothing for a computer SMPS, and only the HX1000 uses them in any large numbers. The capacitor difference between a VX550 and a CWT 550W PSH often amounts to Nippon Chemi-Con instead of Samxon... that's it.

I have no real idea what I'm talking about there short of the fact that OEM and custom models can be quite different :) That was just a completely random example.

@op: Take that back to Best Buy ASAP. If you're friendly and just tell them that it doesn't perform as well as you thought it would, they'll likely not bother with the restocking fee (I've returned a couple X-Fi cards, a video card, and several wireless network things to the Best Buy near me and never been charged for restocking). Just make sure it's nicely repackaged.

Get an HX520W/HX620W.

Amazon.com has them for $104.99/$139.99.
NewEgg has them for $119.99/$164.99 ($99.99/$139.99 MIR).

Both have free shipping.

OK so channel well is better right ? and PSH what is that ? can you find out ?

Channel Well is the OEM. There are companies (A) that make PSUs, and there are companies (B) that have (A) make PSUs for them. Channel Well is (A). Rocketfish, Corsair, Thermalright, etc. are (B). AFAIK Channel Well stuff usually isn't bad. Every company has a range of products, and there's always a low end of any range. Whether that low end is crappy poor quality stuff, or high quality, just with low power output, depends on the OEM. And now I'll stop trying to explain things that Oklahoma Wolf can explain far better than I can :p

Channel Well is the OEM. There are companies (A) that make PSUs, and there are companies (B) that have (A) make PSUs for them. Channel Well is (A). Rocketfish, Corsair, Thermalright, etc. are (B). AFAIK Channel Well stuff usually isn't bad. Every company has a range of products, and there's always a low end of any range. Whether that low end is crappy poor quality stuff, or high quality, just with low power output, depends on the OEM. And now I'll stop trying to explain things that Oklahoma Wolf can explain far better than I can :p

OK that sounds a little better . I am starting to feel good again . (not that good just a little bit ) .. :beer:

I think I see under the CAUTION! bit it says 'The detail specification, please check the user manual.'

Does it say anything in the book or have a chart similar to that one only complete?

edit: Just noticed it's rated at 25C :(

The PDF manual from the RocketFish website doesn't give anything more specific than "Max 41A across 12V rails" and "max 170W for +3.3V and +5V". It also lists the unit as having 4 12V rails.

CWT does have their cheap crap units too, but you pretty much have to go to their ISO offshoot brand to find those these days. I tend to doubt this is one of those though, as there are no ISO modular units I know of.

I can't tell if it's a PSH without seeing the guts, which means voiding the warranty. Best to leave it alone.

The PDF manual from the RocketFish website doesn't give anything more specific than "Max 41A across 12V rails" and "max 170W for +3.3V and +5V". It also lists the unit as having 4 12V rails.

41 on the 12's is 492 watts. Add 170 and you got 662. Not quite 700. By way of comparison, the Corsair VX550W is also rated for 41 amps on the 12v.

I'd say the 700 watt rating is if the unit was caught under a tree in a thunderstorm.

Back