• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumping an ATX...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
Correct me if I am wrong, to turn on an ATX PSU, you need to connect the green and a black wire on the ATX connector, right?

I would like this info as well. I thought I saw it in one of the articles here but can't seem to find it again. Two Psus connected to turn on at the same time. Mine is switched outside of the case so I believe that a resistor (to provide load) can be placed to connect two wires and force the second atx on.

Yes, that's correct. Pins 14 and 15 to be precise, there are a ton of schematics on the web. You should be aware that you can damage your power supply by doing this.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I jumped mine last night when I was having some power on problems. I only just touched it with a wire, sort of brushed it actually, just enough to stir the fans. I haven't noticed any ill effects yet, but I'd be very nervous about letting the computer power all the way up. Apparently the psu needs the circuitry on the mobo for voltage regulation.

nihili

Yeah, I was just testing a psu to see if it was dead...it seems that it is. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing it correctly. As it turns out, I took it apart and found a fried capacitor. Definately dead.

But, I harvested the fan and some of the wires, not bad for free!

Back