• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Game Conflicts in WinXP with Radeon 8500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AarontheJC

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had this problem.

Running XP, whenever I shut down CounterStrike or Wolfenstein or Ghost Recon, I get the blue screen of death, alerting me that I have an improper driver problem.

I'm running a new XP 1700+ on an Epox 8KHA+ with 256 MB Crucial PC2100 and a Radeon 8500 OEM. I was running 2.2.2, but I set my CAS latency back to 3, thinking that might help.

I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI's site and all the updates for Windows XP that were available two weeks ago, but my problem hasn't resolved. I switched over to Windows 98SE and the problem did not present itself. I went back to WinXP, and the problem persisted. I did a clean install, thinking that I had installed some component driver or software that Windows didn't like. No luck. I can run any game I want for any length of time, but as soon as my screen resets (from 1024x768x32 in game to 1152x864x32) I get the blue screen.

If there's something I'm overlooking or when the new ATI drivers come out, please let me know!

Thanks

Last edited:
I hadn't tried that. Yesterday, I was kicking around XP, just getting used to it and all, when I found the Compatibility Wizard. Turns out that I can run all of the programs I was having problems with by running them in Win98 compatibility mode. In addition to that, Microsoft released a new update for XP that fixed a few other small problems. Now everything's great with XP and I'm moving back to overclocking my box. 1.6GHz for now...when I get my new cooling...who knows.

Thanks for the reply

I'm impressed you've got some life out of the compatibility wizard. Every program I've had problems with has been just as bad with the wizard no matter which mode I'd tried.

Glad you got it sorted anyway. I'm thinking about switching back to Win98 on one partition so I can actually get some games to run :) Other than that I like XP.

Back