• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

selecting particular files in a directory in ubuntu gui

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

Can someone explain to me the ubuntu-analog of ctrl-click and shift-click ala windows?

I.E.:

A
B
C
D
E

to select A and D I would click a and ctrl-click d, then I could copy or move the two of them to a new location.

how do you do this with ubuntu's native file browser? or is there a package that is better / offers more granular control of this nature?

Just tried it on my laptop (8.04) and it works just like Windows. Ctrl to select individual items and shift for everything in between.

wth, i have an 8.04 cd burned and it was NOT doing that last night.

anykey+click just selected the newly-clicked file.

shift.
ctrl.
alt.

all the same.

Weeeird.

edit - maybe the live-cd file browser is different from the installed one? like konquerer vs whatever? (i don't know what the livecd is using right now, that machine is shut down atm, but older versions of ubuntu, i'm fairly sure, used konq)

it uses nautilus as its default file browser

and the ctrl + click and shift + click work great for me on multiple buntu boxes; 7.04, 7.10, 8.04

Then I call shenanigans on... me I guess.

But I know I tried ctrl and shift clicking the night I posted this and ended up just doing concurrent copies of stuff to the network share, because I couldn't granularly select files to copy in one process.

I will investigate tonight when I work on recovering data from the next drive.

Back