• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Discussion]Should I get a Quad- or Dual-Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quad all the way way dif than dual ....And the perfect way to test it is on flight sim fsx than any other game out there ....I think they should always have fsx when ever they do cpu comparisons or vid cards comparisons ...But just my thought :)

more from the peanut gallery.....

i'm not a quad fan boy, but i currently run a quad. honestly, its not really worth the extra bucks for everyday use. it also depends on what quad, vs what dual you get, because all processors are not created equal. higher end duals can outperform lower end quads, and of course, user experience is really the end determining factor of price/performance.....can YOU overclock a cheap quad to make it worth $200? ( heres a hint..its not for the faint of heart, or a beginner ) beginners stick to duals, it will make your life much easier, and be easier on your budget....and you'll prolly never complain if you get a good enough dual core.

i'm not a quad fan boy, but i currently run a quad. honestly, its not really worth the extra bucks for everyday use. it also depends on what quad, vs what dual you get, because all processors are not created equal. higher end duals can outperform lower end quads, and of course, user experience is really the end determining factor of price/performance.....can YOU overclock a cheap quad to make it worth $200? ( heres a hint..its not for the faint of heart, or a beginner ) beginners stick to duals, it will make your life much easier, and be easier on your budget....and you'll prolly never complain if you get a good enough dual core.

:eh?:

you are running a $200 chip at 4ghz.. how hard was it for YOU? a small bump in voltage and raise your bus speed. Why would anyone have a problem doing that? Perhaps they only get 3.6 but that is still a helluva powerhouse chip.

I don't see how anyone could recommend buying a dual core setup over an i5 now unless the budget was very low.

An i5 at 3.6+ is going to have some staying power.. talk about future proof for several years. a dually could be considered struggling on quite a few apps/games today.

I realize this forum has been going for awhile now. I'm into the i7's for gaming. I think the new layout. "Gaming on the edge – and beyond
Experience the full power of today’s most complex and immersive games with a 55% improvement in artificial intelligence for game characters and realistic physics for game worlds.‡3

Performance on demand
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology◊1 accelerates performance to match your workload, and you’ll also get more than 43% better performance‡4 on highly threaded applications with the multi-threaded power of Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology." from http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Desktop/corei7-detail.htm

IMO opinion, the proces of i7 920 and 930 at Microcenter are so cheap, these processors are the way to go. $180 for I7 920 and $200 for 930. Also Gigabyte X58A-UD3R is only $199........ Be the judge.

This sticky is over a year old now adn while true when it was posted I believe the answer has changed now.

I've been using a dually for the last 3 years and it held up well but now it's time to upgrade my computer. There is no way I won't be getting a quad. In fact I have an i5 in route to me now =)

times keep on moving..

I guess the question now is

Quad Core or 6-Core?

LoL...

Saw a link to this thread in someones sig.. Sorry for the necro :p

times keep on moving..

I guess the question now is

Quad Core or 6-Core?

LoL...

Saw a link to this thread in someones sig.. Sorry for the necro :p

LOL. Yeah but the quad cores are still holding good ground. :comp:

I had this question. My choices inevitably came down to the I3-2120 and the I5-2500k. I splurged and went for the I5-2500k.

Last edited:
As of 2012, a quad core without Hyper threading is plenty for gaming and most desktop applications.

Stop bumping 5 year old topics -_- quad cores are the norm today for games, six core is for bragging, semi-pro and professional work (Adobe programs, Cinema 4D, Autodesk programs...) end of story lol

Stop bumping 5 year old topics ... end of story
Please don't disrupt other people's threads and the topics people are interested in just because you are not. It is rude. You are not royalty in this forum, nor the final arbiter of when a topic is finished being discussed.

You made a wise decision in getting the i5 2500K. I've had mine for 3 years at 4.5GHz without nary a problem and there still isn't a GPU out there where the i5 2500K at 4.5GHz bottlenecks it.:drool:

Really you've had a 2500k for three years? Its only been out two and a half years.

(edit: forgot "had a". Very sad...)

Last edited:
Back