• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime's QX9650 Adventure....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

Well I got my beast today, paid $750 for it off fleabay new retail sealed.

Batch#: L844B180
Pack Date: 6-9-08
VID: 1.25
Stock 3ghz prime95 load vcore 1.19

Currently Priming 400 x 10 for 4ghz @ 1.34 BIOS 1.32 CPU-Z

However before I primed I was able to load windows up and do superpi, and run 3dmark06 @ 1.28vcore. Anyway here's the results from the benches....
qx_4ghz.JPG

Well so far I've had to up the volts for 4ghz to 1.35 BIOS 1.344 load in windows... currently been priming for around 20 mins , others failed around 15 mins.

Once I get her stable for my daily setup, I'll begin pushing the FSB up towards 500 and see how she handles.

Yep here it is... I awoke this morning to stability. Looks like the loop heated up over night, highest logged temp by coretemp was 61c, normal idle is 33-35c.
qx_stable.JPG

Last edited:
This chip I have has a quirk, the system/cpu is completely orthos and prime stable. However if I lower the multi for certain speeds such as 4ghz the board will shut down but will not post back up again without clearing cmos. Now whether this is a glitch with the p45 boards or just a quirky chip who knows. All I know is I can set settings and prime/orthos 4ghz all day long without errors.

I'll give some higher FSB runs a try, as maybe my chip doesn't like certain multis on bootup.

Hell, prime, you got yourself a QX9650! That is frigging sweet dude, I wish I had one of them, been waiting tell nehalem to see if their price drops to about $300. Anyways, newegg hooked me up on some new ram and my system is more stable now. I also just lapped my CPU and Heatsink and right off the bat got 2-5C drops without having to let the AS5 set in, I am gonna push for 3.6ghz soon, with my new DDR21100 ram I hope I get there....Congrats on your new extreme quad:drool:

Glad to hear your setup is workin out, My q6700 went to my sister in law and she's currently running 3ghz with stock volts.

This chip I have has a quirk, the system/cpu is completely orthos and prime stable. However if I lower the multi for certain speeds such as 4ghz the board will shut down but will not post back up again without clearing cmos. Now whether this is a glitch with the p45 boards or just a quirky chip who knows. All I know is I can set settings and prime/orthos 4ghz all day long without errors.

I'll give some higher FSB runs a try, as maybe my chip doesn't like certain multis on bootup.

It's an FSB hole IMHO. My E8500 and Q9450 do the same exact thing.

I'll probably get around to some higher FSB runs later this weekend, for now shes rock solid at 4ghz 400 x 10. The perp to my problem I think has to do with ram speed on certain FSB frequencies.

The FSB hole is not appearing because if I want I can set 445 x 9 and prime it stable.... but as soon as I go for a restart or shut it down and then power backup it starts but doesn't POST. So it's either a glitch with the chipset or memory or a combination. It's like ok you can goto bios set it up and prime it stable and then bam when you shut down im not starting backup. But I finally found out that lowering to 400 fsb x 10 itll restart and bootup all day, but im using the correct memory frequency which would normally appear under the correct 333 strap. I think my issues were happening because on other FSB frequencies, I was selecting auto NB strap and setting whatever memory speed was closest to my max rated memory speeds.

Big difference all around, the old chip was a Q6700, it was a rather stout chip that acheived 500fsb and was able to do 4ghz stable. But the voltages were nearing the high levels at 4ghz and temps were hotter. The ability to have an unlocked multi is probably the sweetest thing ever, especially for overclocking.

The FSB hole is not appearing because if I want I can set 445 x 9 and prime it stable.... but as soon as I go for a restart or shut it down and then power backup it starts but doesn't POST. So it's either a glitch with the chipset or memory or a combination.

Go back and find my quotes from a week ago -- 450 is where you're going to start seeing it, just look at my sig as an example. The issues you describe sound exactly like what I was trying to tell you about the Yorkies and their FSB wall.

I can prime all day at 463 absolute max with Prime95, but if I even so much as try to start anything like a game it immediately bombs -- followed by the never-ending-reboot-of-death until you clear the CMOS.

Since you're on a P45, you should at least have a fighting chance of getting beyond 466... But one man's success does not mean success for all. Most QX9650 owners that you see online pretty much stop at some point below 450FSB -- you don't have to believe me though, just type it into Google and see where it takes you.

The unlocked multiplier is a god-send for the Yorkfield quads. Too bad it's $800 :( I'm still curious if it's the new E0 stepping that's helping out the NDA'd processors rather than the chipset, but who is to say? Our resident tester didn't have any luck with other X48 chipsets, so I have to assume that the P45 is at least part of it.

Perhaps it's not all of it though...

Well the hole is not here, it's simply GTL settings as I suspected in combination with memory. If I run 1066mhz ram itll restart/reboot all day long, but 1200mhz is picky for some reason.

500 fsb is my next goal....

I'd much rather you prove that it isn't the E0 stepping versus the contrary. That should give at least some people hope that a P45 can indeed circumvent some of these issues...

Back