• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which processor should I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mobo to look at imo Asus P5Q/P5Q-E/P5Q-PRO

as a side note, the quad will not help you rip anything any faster, thats the CD/DVD drives job. disc to disc copy wont be any faster either for the same reason...

no i realized i wouldnt be ripping faster but i usually take divx and what not and convert to dvd. thats why i figure quad core is where its at. like i mentioned before i do not play games on my computer. as for the motherboards i appreciate the suggestions and i looked them over and none of them provide everything im looking for/

those all look nice although i have read some bad reviews about the scythe coolers. i was also considering the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283.

I know many people here are using the Q6600, but I'm not really sure if I need a quad core. I don't do any gaming on my rig. I primarily use it for video encoding. I use Convert X to do most of my work if that helps, not sure if it takes advantage of the quad core. If not I'd much rather get a dual core. My budget is 200 bucks. tell me what you think.
Definitely Q6600. Much faster to encode or transcode video. Newegg has OEMs for $185 - $15 below your budget. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115018

BTW, I use ASUS P5K-E. Good overclocker. Don't waste time on the Wifi model.

chilltech looks nice but im trying to stray away from the carnival look on this build. of course im sure i could always replace the fan.

chilltech looks nice but im trying to stray away from the carnival look on this build. of course im sure i could always replace the fan.

Not sure what you mean . If it is the colored blue lighted fan then yes you can replace it . but I can tell you nothing is going to cool it better unless you go with a liquid cooling out fit . but hey it is your decision I just give you advice . good luck.

thanx for the advice it is appreciated. im am about 90% sure i am going to go with s2183. tons of good reviews and very low price point. cant go wrong. trying to keep within my $1000 budget here. by the way does this seem like a sufficient and decent psu?

Corsair power supplies are excellent but it depends which of the 7 you linked to you were thinking of getting.

really i linked to seven? when i click the link it only brings up one. it is the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W.

It works fine now but when I clicked it before it was 7 lol anyways yes that will work just fine. What are you planning for a videocard(s)?

thanx for the advice it is appreciated. im am about 90% sure i am going to go with s2183. tons of good reviews and very low price point. cant go wrong. trying to keep within my $1000 budget here. by the way does this seem like a sufficient and decent psu?
The CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W is modular and would be my choice.

im gonna go with this video card do you have one? are the cables long? i want to make sure the one i get has long enough cables for my case.

im gonna go with this video card do you have one? are the cables long? i want to make sure the one i get has long enough cables for my case.
IMO, that vid card might be underpowered if you plan on DX10 gaming at high def resolution. The 65nm GeForce 8800GTS might be a better choice. At least it has been tested more. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GA+512-P3-N841-AR+GeForce+8800GTS+(G92)+512MB

EDIT: Re 620W cable length, I doubt you would have any problem. A lot of people complain about non-modular PSUs because they end up with a bulky tangle of wires, mostly unused, which impldes airflow.

Last edited:
Back