• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nehalem release moved forward

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
Hope it's true :thup:

Intel brings forward Nehalem launch

Originally scheduled to launch in November or December this year, Intel's Nehalem-based Bloomfield processors will now launch in September along with X58 chipsets, sources at motherboard makers have revealed.

However, the sources pointed out that CPUs and motherboards will not officially appear in the channel until early October.

Since Bloomfield CPUs are not socket compatible with previous Intel platforms, the accelerated launch is not expected to cause competition between the company's own products, although the same cannot be said for AMD's scheduled AM3-based CPU launch, noted the sources.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080724PD205.html

*pours out a 40 out for AMD*

This is ultimately a bad thing for us. Nehalem is a monster and as badly as AMD falls behind on current chips, they're only going to fall further behind against the Nehalem. If AMD keeps getting used as a punching bag, they're eventually gonna fall over dead.

And if AMD goes away, it's going to suck for a very long time :(

Speaking of AMD, what is there strategy on matching the perfromance and architecture of Nehalem, surely they must have something otherwise they might as well pack up shop...agree that Intel being the dominant and soon to be monopolizing player is very bad for us as consumer.

I hope this is all a coy.

I hope that one day AMD will explode through the wall bearing quantum computing chips and use light instead of electricity.

I hope...

How much will a cheap Nehalem based quadcore processor + motherboard cost?
I recall reading recently that the 2.66Ghz Bloomfield (4-core, 8-thread, 3-memory channel) processor will be less than $300. I would wager that a motherboard will be in the $200-$250 arena depending on features. And with the Nehalem platform, everything uses DDR3 now so figure you'll need to replace your ram too.

Speaking of AMD, what is there strategy on matching the perfromance and architecture of Nehalem, surely they must have something otherwise they might as well pack up shop...agree that Intel being the dominant and soon to be monopolizing player is very bad for us as consumer.

AM3 is their "answer", but last I checked, that answer was comprised of some faster HT and core speeds, some more special instruction sauce, and I think they were looking at moving their IMC to DDR3 support -- maybe?

So in other words, not much. :(

No this is a Intel forum and I will not have any one taking this over to talk about an AMD product . as AMD has nothing that is going to beat this monster AMD is sunk out for the count Intel is now showing it's might and muscle finally after the P4 debacle Intel has pulled so far ahead of the game I think AMD has a ways to go before they can gain any ground .
That said remember this is a Intel thread and I would like it to stay that way ! I will report any and all AMD talk from this post forth !

New cores, ddr3 and quadchannel memory

That said remember this is a Intel thread and I would like it to stay that way ! I will report any and all AMD talk from this post forth !

Report away if you feel it's necessary. It's one thing if this thread was innundated by "fanbois" and we had a big festival of e-peen slinging about who makes better processors. But that isn't happening...

We have several intelligent people commenting about how AMD is going to be in sorry shape when trying to fight this new contender. That's a pretty valid topic in the scope of Intel moving their plans forward for no other reason than to squarely punch AMD between the eyes of their AM3 launch.

That's all great news for anyone who has very narrow vision, but looking at the BIG picture, Intel killing AMD is one of the worst things that could happen for all computer enthusiasts. I think that's worth noting, especially in the Intel forum where people may not be looking outside...

Uh-oh, mall security showed up:burn: :bday:

I do hope that AMD can survive the next year, for competition sake.

I wonder why they moved the date forward. I havn't found many reviews of Nehalem, but I believe one stated that there are a lack of motherboards at the stage that it would need to be to come out at Nehalem's original release date. Hopefully the well-known motherboard producers don't rush anything to hit this earlier release date.

I assume that Intel moved it forward knowing that their chipsets would have to be ready at the same time. So if they have any sort of brain ;) :D then the new X58 should be shipping enmasse right alongside the Bloomsfield.

And AMD doing quadchannel? I was pretty sure I'd read about a transition to DDR3, but I hadn't seen that yet. Hopefully the cores can make use of all that bandwidth... Another thing that AMD should finally get by the end of this year is mass-production on the 45nm lithography process. They don't get the Hi-K stuff until 32nm though, so they're still gonna be pretty far behind Intel's silicon...

So sick of seeing processor threads go in the same direction, unsubscribed.

Report away if you feel it's necessary. It's one thing if this thread was innundated by "fanbois" and we had a big festival of e-peen slinging about who makes better processors. But that isn't happening...

We have several intelligent people commenting about how AMD is going to be in sorry shape when trying to fight this new contender. That's a pretty valid topic in the scope of Intel moving their plans forward for no other reason than to squarely punch AMD between the eyes of their AM3 launch.

That's all great news for anyone who has very narrow vision, but looking at the BIG picture, Intel killing AMD is one of the worst things that could happen for all computer enthusiasts. I think that's worth noting, especially in the Intel forum where people may not be looking outside...
Thank you I will and as far as I see it Intel taking this huge leap is a testament of how much they are putting into there R&D seems to me the other side is lacking in this area and even if AMD goes under I really doubt that it will hurt us that bad there is still IBM Sun micro and VIA . this would not be the end all be all as if comp went down and Intel said well there is no need for R&D or for us to move forward then no one would be into buying any of there stuff any more and go with Apple ! you seem to think that the end of all computers is at hand when in fact it is not .
The Nehalem is a huge step forward as the C2D was for the P4 ! this is the best news EVER and to have this supper chip out is going to be HUGE for every one ! As I see it the strongest survive if AMD can not take the heat of this new CPU well that is business and only the strong can survive in business this is fact !

No this is a Intel forum and I will not have any one taking this over to talk about an AMD product . as AMD has nothing that is going to beat this monster AMD is sunk out for the count Intel is now showing it's might and muscle finally after the P4 debacle Intel has pulled so far ahead of the game I think AMD has a ways to go before they can gain any ground .

I'm not comparing anything dude, just asking a simple question, I think you need a :soda:to chill out a bit :)

Back