Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need fast cash, HELP!

Alright, here's the situation.

I have a female friend who is desperate for money. She confided in me that she was planning to resort to prostitution to make the cash she needs. Of course, I put a stop to that right quick.

She needs to make 1k in the next two weeks. She lost her job and is unable to get another one in her area. She has no car. She doesnt have much of value to sell, and she doesnt have the credit to take out a loan.

What the hell are the options here? I'm not even sure where to start to get this girl the money she needs to get home!
    Athlon 2000+ @ 1.9 147/147
    ECS K7S5A
    256 MB TwinMOS DDR PC2100
    ATI Radeon 9000 128 MB (Saphire)
    40 Gig Western Digital
    Atapi CDRW
    Atapi DVD ROM 16x
    Stock HS and Fan
    Watercooled- Maze 3 Lucite,Dtek 200GPH Pump/Res, Black Ice Micro

"So, please, flush any 100% across-the-board crap out of your heads and let's look at this anew.

You Were Wrong, Wrong, Wrong; The Radeon Rules!"
    - Overclockers.com

is this someone you have known for a while? A good friend? Whats she need the money for exactly? Aside from you personally helping her out, im not sure what other options there are.
    Hobby Turbine Engine Builder
    Certified APA Pyrotechnician

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Alright, here's the situation.

I have a female friend who is desperate for money. She confided in me that she was planning to resort to prostitution to make the cash she needs. Of course, I put a stop to that right quick.

She needs to make 1k in the next two weeks. She lost her job and is unable to get another one in her area. She has no car. She doesnt have much of value to sell, and she doesnt have the credit to take out a loan.

What the hell are the options here? I'm not even sure where to start to get this girl the money she needs to get home!
    1. Calm Down
    2. Calm Down
    3. CALM DOWN

Now... one thing we have to establish right off the bat: She is not going to get this $1,000. She doesn't have it... YOU don't have it (otherwise you wouldn't be in the state you're in)... and nobody's going to toss $1,000 to a complete stranger. Obviously none of her other friends are giving it to her, or she wouldn't have come to you. So let's establish a few things:

4. What the hell does she need a thousand dollars for? Get out of town? Take fifty bucks and buy her a greyhound ticket. Pay off some trouble-making hoodlums? Call the Police, FBI, or go take her straight down to police headquarters and have her speak to a detective.
    5. This is not your responsibility.
    6. This is not your responsibility.
    7. THIS IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

continued

I've heard every con, scam, sob story, and absolute unsettling truth you can possibly imagine (and a few that you couldn't.) I've had women tell me they were going to kill themselves, run away from home, I've heard the "I'm going to go into prostitution" thing twice, and I've met a couple of prostitutes.

YOU can not restore this person's life. Whatever trouble she's in... a thousand bucks will not get her out. Like I said: If all she has to do is leave town, that's 50 bucks (maybe a hundred with gas the way it is) if you're REALLY close friends... you could loan her that. But you can't live her life for her. You can't spend the next few years following her around making sure she does the right thing. If she has trouble with criminals, call the cops. If she has trouble with the law, either help her get out of town or convince her to turn herself in. But it will never EVER stop at $1,000.

If nobody's ever believed me about ANYTHING... believe me on this.

EDIT: Oh... and by the way: She's going to want you to keep some secrets. THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE KEEPING SECRETS! Obviously you're so wound up you're not thinking straight. Tell everyone you know the wholllllllle truth. You need some opinions from people that can actually be objective. Tell your friends (the ones outside the internet) tell your parents (sounds like you're still quite young), tell any people that you really trust. But don't try and tackle this all on your own, soldier...

...it's not your fight.
    Last edited by rainless; 07-24-08 at 08:50 PM.
    Core 4 Q9550 @4003mhz 1.30v
    Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 4.6ghz 1.328v (E0 Stepping)
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.8ghz 1.525v
    Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
    OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
    Corsair 750TX PSU
    Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
    BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202

Quote Originally Posted by rainless View Post
    1. Calm Down
    2. Calm Down
    3. CALM DOWN
    Alright, I'm calm now.

I just had a freak out attack hearing this great girl wanting to do something as crazy as selling herself on the street.

4. What the hell does she need a thousand dollars for? Get out of town? Take fifty bucks and buy her a greyhound ticket. Pay off some trouble-making hoodlums? Call the Police, FBI, or go take her straight down to police headquarters and have her speak to a detective.
    If we werent on an island in the middle of the pacific I'd spot her the cash for a bus ticket, but as of yet there are no floating bus routes!

She got in some bad luck, wrecked her car, and her college is now done. She needs to get back home and doesnt have the cash for it.

5. This is not your responsibility.
    6. This is not your responsibility.
    7. THIS IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
    You are correct, but I would hate to see her raped and murdered by the crack addicts that walk the streets here while shes selling herself

You need some opinions from people that can actually be objective.
    That's exactly why I came here, I know I can trust OCforums. You guys are a great bunch.

Rainless, I'm taking your advice to heart. Perhaps I should just back off and let this run its course, but it really does break my heart.
    ECS K7S5A
    40 Gig Western Digital
    Atapi CDRW
    Atapi DVD ROM 16x
    Stock HS and Fan

"So, please, flush any 100% across-the-board crap out of your heads and let's look at this anew.

- Overclockers.com

Disabled
    how old is she? Call her parents... Have them pick her up..

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FIX-IT View Post
    We're in Hawaii, unless they have wings, that will not be an option. She stated that her parents are unable to cover the 1300 dollar plane ticket back.
    ECS K7S5A
    40 Gig Western Digital
    Atapi CDRW
    Atapi DVD ROM 16x
    Stock HS and Fan

- Overclockers.com

Is there any serious reason that she has to leave in two weeks? Plane tickets can be very cheap if you buy further in advance, closer to 100-200 dollars.
    Mobo: XFX 680i LT
    CPU: Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.8 ghz
    Cooling: Apogee GT + MCW60
    RAM: OCZ SLI Ready 6400 @ 1000mhz 2 x 1gb
    Vid: 2x EVGA 8800GTS 512 (g92) @ 812/1035/2020
    Case: NZXT Lexa Black
    PSU: Ultra Xfinity 600W
    3dMark06:18356 marks

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FIX-IT View Post
    +1

And what "island" is this? (Didn't know New Jersey was an island...) We talking American Samoa or what?

1,000 bucks would get you a damned CARNIVAL CRUISE to any island I can think of... Can't she just take a hundred bucks and get on a regular passenger boat?

I was seriously looking into a boat to and from Nassau the other day: 60 bucks. Round trip with MEALS. (Didn't wind up going, couldn't afford the plane ticket to florida.)

What island are we talking about? Antarctica?

Just be cool man... Call her parents or try and find her a place to stay with some female friend that you can trust. (Staying with YOU really, REALLY wouldn't be the best option right now.)

But don't go throwing yourself into the ocean... that's how people drown.
    Corsair 750TX PSU
    BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202

She lost her job and is unable to get another one in her area.
    Why not?

Oh and listen to Rainless.

Also it wouldn't hurt to tell people you know about this, one of my mother's friends actually was "taking care" of a "poor woman" who used to be a prostitute but was using him. It was so obvious, except he didn't notice. Not saying that it's happening to you, but something to be aware of.

*Hawaii Rainless...
    2500K @4.2GHz, P8P67 PRO, 8GB G.Skill Sniper, RocketFish Case, 2x 6950, X750 PSU, TRUE120

Seņor Senior Member
    just on the edge of civilization, in the Mojave Desert
    Alright, I'm calm now.

I just had a freak out attack hearing this great girl wanting to do something as crazy as selling herself on the street.
    I'd hate to see a person resort to such a course of action; perhaps she doesn't understand quite all what's involved in that scene.

Maybe she could seek some help from her parents. I won't even suggest that she move in with you; would probably spell big time disaster for you both.

If her debts are with legitimate creditors, her credit will take a hit, but it's not the end of the World. She can deal with her credit when she gets back on her feet. If she's truly going to end up homeless, there may shelters of some kind in your area that could provide a helping hand. There should be public assistance available, of some kind.
    Folding User Stats

ihrsetrdr aka Tim

Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.
    - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Hazaro View Post
    Why not?

*Hawaii Rainless...
    I said I was right, I didn't say Walmart got my eyeglass prescription right!

We're in Hawaii, unless they have wings, that will not be an option. She stated that her parents are unable to cover the 1300 dollar plane ticket back.
    Hawaii? You mean all she has to do is go from Hawaii back to the mainland?

Find her a cheap ticket to cali and have her take Greyhound to wherever she needs to go.

You really need to take a deep breath and think this through: She's talking about... GOING INTO PROSTITUTION... over a plane ticket?

I would say "that sounds a little weird.."

...but I'm the OVERSTATEMENT guy... not the understatement one.
    Corsair 750TX PSU

I say let her go to the streets. We all have to make money somehow and if she rather take the easy way out and use what her parents gave her rather then what she worked for then by all means. Maybe in 10 years if you still know her you can buy her a counselor?
    "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why." -Bernard Mannes Baruch

Mobo: MSI Neo2-V
    CPU: 2.8a Prescott @ 3.2
    PSU: Blue Storm 500 Watt
    GPU: Geforce 6600GT
    HS: Zalman 7000
    Ram: Kingston HyperX 1024mb 3200

Dude you never have to something stupid like prostitution. Why don't you let her stay with you till she can find a job or come across some money? If you really care that much about her......

What exactly is the 1000$ for? If she honestly can't pay her debts, then she needs to talk to them. They do give extensions some times.....and why does she owe anyone money if she wrecked her car? DUI?

Quote Originally Posted by tenchi86 View Post
    I say let her go to the streets. We all have to make money somehow and if she rather take the easy way out and use what her parents gave her rather then what she worked for then by all means. Maybe in 10 years if you still know her you can buy her a counselor?
    You know what damnit. I was in it pretty bad 3-4 years back. I even made a thread here in general.

My first thought was "****, I need smart people to help, post on OCForums!"

My second thought on looking at this is "This bitch must be crazy". And no, I dont want her staying with me. I live in a small apartment, and all I need now is someone messing it up living on my couch.
    ECS K7S5A
    40 Gig Western Digital
    Atapi CDRW
    Atapi DVD ROM 16x
    Stock HS and Fan

- Overclockers.com

What a nice change in tone from your OP to your latest.

Helps to stop and think clearly for a bit.
    Main i7-2600K + Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 EVO, 12GB DDR3, Samsung 830 256GB, ATI 7950, SeaSonic X750, Antec Fusion Remote Max - W8 Pro 64-bit
    File Server Phenom II X4 965, ASUS M4A785-M, 4GB DDR2, Intel PRO/1000, Nexus VALUE 430, Norco RPC-450B - unRAID Pro 8TB: Samsung 2x2TB, 4x.1.5TB, X25-M G2 120GB [cache]

Dell U2713HM

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Diddyu View Post
    Is there any serious reason that she has to leave in two weeks? Plane tickets can be very cheap if you buy further in advance, closer to 100-200 dollars.
    Not nowadays. Plane tickets a year out are no cheaper for flying out of my area to anywhere.
    "There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong,
    or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no
    patience for useless things."

You know what damnit. I was in it pretty bad 3-4 years back. I even made a thread here in general.

My first thought was "****, I need smart people to help, post on OCForums!"

My second thought on looking at this is "This bitch must be crazy". And no, I dont want her staying with me. I live in a small apartment, and all I need now is someone messing it up living on my couch.
    Yeah... her staying with you would've been a very VERY bad idea.

And I don't know about these other fine citizens, but in my case, it's not so much the fact that I'm "so smart" it's just that I'd like to see as few people as possible go through the kind of insanity that made me the man I am today.
    Corsair 750TX PSU

People make their own mess, and they need to learn to clean it up themselves.... End of story.
    CPU & CPU Fan --------- i7 2600k @ 4.5 Ghz ||| CM Hyper 212+
    MoBo & Memory -------- Asus p8p67 Pro and 16GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600
    SSD's ------------------ 2x 512GB Crucial MX100 (OS/Programs and Games)
    Game Backup HDD ----- 3TB WD Green
    Misc Storage HDDs ----- 5x 2 T.B SAMSUNG F4 5400 RPM 32MB
    Video Card ------------- Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Monitors --------------- 1 Samsung 32" 1080p LCD TV ||| 1 x Dell 2007FPW Rev A02 |||
    Case/PSU/OS ---------- Antec P280 ||| Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W||| Windows 8 x64

3dfx 1997-2002 ~~~ Nvidia 2002-present.
    AMD 1998-2008 ~~~ Intel 1993-1998 , 2008-present.

Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    People make their own mess, and they need to learn to clean it up themselves.... End of story.
    ...and now back to the bar.
    Corsair 750TX PSU

she just needs a ticket? how much does she have now?
    could just wait it out buy a cheepo ticket in advance a few weeks out and be good.

donate some plasma, donate.....an egg (?) they do much medical testing in Hawaii?
    Phenom II "X6 1605T" @ 3.00Ghz
    Sythe Yasa 6 Pipe Cooler
    Biostar TA890FXE
    16Gig G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-9-9-25 2T 667Mhz
    MSI R7870 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC
    Seagate 320Gig 7200.11
    Seagate 1024Gig 7200.14
    OCZ Stealth X Stream 600
    LG LightScribe DVD Burner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast