• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone clear up some confusion about a cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess I should have asked what temps are considered OK and at what temp do I become concerned. My system seems faster which was the idea right :)

I guess that I took the plunge and overclocked I should spend a little money and buy a better cpu cooler. I know there is a cooling forum but rather than get a bunch of new opinions I thought I would ask the ones that helped me, which cpu cooler would you suggest?

Thanks again

Here is a really great list from a reputible review site...

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2271&page=5

I would suggest any on the top of the list, however the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (#2) is only ~$27 after mail in rebate.

Here is a really great list from a reputible review site...

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2271&page=5

I would suggest any on the top of the list, however the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (#2) is only ~$27 after mail in rebate.

First time hearing that one. I know personally I like thermalright heatsinks, so my vote would be for the 120-Ultra or 120-Ultra Extreme but these are pricey in the $50-65 range, the top of top end air cooling.

Temp wise, for stock cooler guess anything under 70C, under 60C is ideal but probably out of the realm of possibility for the stock cooler on an OC.

ok here is what to change and i will list why, hope it helps...
after a quick google search and looking at the bios this is what you need to change
ok follow me from here
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
go to Advanced->jumper free config->a.i tuning(set to manual). that should now allow you to change the fsb and voltage settings. from here change (follow pic4 of the bios screen)
set
CPU SPEED (266 right now to 333) <-this changes the cpus fsb from stock 1066/266 to 1333/333
DRAM (from auto to 800) <- this makes sure your ram is run in spec or below while overclocking, in your case you only want it at spec since your not ocing much.
PCIE (auto to 101mhz) <- no all mobo correctly lock the pcie speed at 100mhz, so i and many suggest locking at 101 instead.
PCI CLOCK SYNC MODE (auto to 33.33)<- here agian the same reason as above. if you oc to far the pci buss gets out of wack so locking it at 33.33mhz is highly suggested.
memory voltage(auto to what ever your ram says it needs, so if it say 1.9v set it to 1.9v.)
cpu voltage core(auto to 1.35) 1.35 volts is the max recommended on the box for just 3ghz i would suggest that. even though your cpu may only need voltage on auto you just never know. test it both ways and see what happens...
NB voltage core should be left at auto. <-handles the fsb and comm of cpu-ram-gpu-sb. in many cases when pushing for higher fsb's you need to up the NB voltage. in your case 333mhz is not something you need to worry about upping this voltage for.
SB voltage left at auto agian. this handles data from SATA to NB this never needs to be upped at all from what i have tested. many still up the voltage one notch just to make sure.
what i listed is what needs to be changed but i also listed parts of the bios that need to be paided attention to.

p.s. its never a waste of time as long as the person is willing to try to figure it out. :) :beer:

*edit*

its is till you start messing with ram ratios/ram dividers. take my board for instance, the ram ratios are multipliers. making at stock 266 1:1 or just 1 makes for DDR2-533 speed. at 1:1.25 or 1.25 you would take 1.25*266=332.5, then 332.5*2=DDR2-665. then so on by the ratios and dividers, now if your one with a NV based board you can unlock the ram from those ratios/dividers. then you can set the ram speed to what ever you want and not have to worry about ram speed. though at certian fsb speeds there are ratio holes, meanning that that board cant make a ratios to keep the ram at the set speed.

Hello again,

The above guide really helped me a great deal in overclocking my system to a 3.0. I just did some upgrades to my system and they were to install a Ultima-90 coller and also a new graphics card
MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

The card was not working properly and ATI tech support had me update my MB chipset and the MB bios, there is still something wrong with the performence of this card but that's not my issue here.

When I rebooted after the bios flash it said my overclock failed so I had to load defaults and save it. It booted back to my 2.4, I wnet into the setup again and changed everything back to the suggested settings in the guide above but the overclock failed again, so I set to default again.

MY QUESTION

Can anyone tell me why the overclock worked with older bios and chipset but now with updated ones I can't get my system to overclock to 3.0 again????

Can anyone tell me why the overclock worked with older bios and chipset but now with updated ones I can't get my system to overclock to 3.0 again????

Some BIOS versions are just more stable than others, and it doesn't always end up being the newer ones that are more stable. Whatever the reason behind this is, I don't know - perhaps they change certain timing defaults in different versions. I had to backdate my BIOS to get stable at 3.2GHz, as the newest version did not like my overclock at all. Even without an overclock, it behaved strangely - wouldn't load setup at times, or would just hang during reboots. With ASUS, it's not always easy to go backwards, too, as many of their BIOS update tools prevent it by default unless you figure out the advanced switch to allow backdating. :-(

Back