• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Locks up makes Screeching sound then restarts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

Hi.

OS - Windows Xp Pro Edition. SP3. 32BIT
Mobo - Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L
CPU - E2140 @ 1.6ghz
RAM - 3.5gig g.skill

Problem here is that I will be doing my daily things on my computer usually just surfing the web or playing some game such as CS 1.6 or D2 and my computer will lock up. Then it will make a Screeching noise for about 1 second then restart with no BSOD or errors when rebooting. It's not a beeping noise from the mobo or anything it sounds like some really bad brakes on a car. Its been about 3 months since I installed the OS and I just recently starting getting this. I would hate to reinstall my OS as I have a bunch of files that are vital :( but has anyone else experienced a problem such as this?

Check your memory first, then if that turns up clean see if you swap out PSUs. For a stupid question... The sound isn't from a battery backup system(UPS) is it?

Edit:
For small abbreviation error

Last edited:
overheating venting caps can make a screeching noise, can't they?

I've heard /of/ that, but never heard it myself. I always imagined it being on the quieter side. What I pictured in the OPs description was the sound a UPS makes when it trips. I guess I'm making some big assumptions though.

The screeching noise may be coming from your hard drive. When ever I experience a BSoD I will start with hard drive and memory diagnostics. You may want to disable "Restart on Error" so that if a blue screen is present you can see the details.

indeed it would probably help if you can figure out if the screeching sound is coming from the pc speaker or another piece of hardware.

have you checked to make sure your heatsink is mounted properly on your cpu? i would try to reseat your memory as well, check all connections...

Back