• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP running very slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I installed xp a little while ago and never had any problems with it, but one thing i did do was go into msconfig and disable all the extra stuff like AOL(argh i hate it) and stuff. And for those of you who want to get rid of all the annoying pop ups(hopefully everyone) goto cnet(www.cnet.com) and search for powertoys and you should find one for xp, it lets do a ton of very helpful stuff, like getting rid of the popups.

Another way I can think of to speed it up is to go to the control panel and system, the advance tab. Then click the top settings button(near performance). You can click best persormance and it should disable all the little extra stuff that makes it look better but slows it down. Then click the advanced tab and make sure programs are selected on both, I don't know why they wouldn't but doesn't hurt to check.

And BTW if you want to start reclaming the fancy settings you should time something opening with them all off(and assuming there is a difference) click one and go open that program again and time it and keep doing it till the time it takes to open it goes up. BTW it should be a program that takes a little while to open(AOL comes to mind, ARGH) so you can more acurately time it.

Back