• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3870x2 overclock...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

ok so i got the 3870x2 for a decent price and it came premodded with voltage mods...so i wanted to start overclocking...but i dont know whats the latest bios for this card...and whats a safe overclock with stock cooling?... i dont have the money to buy another rad :(

whats the best way to get a stable overclock on this card im a videocard oc noob

There are a lot of posts about this... just search 3870x2 in the titles and start reading. there are different tools available and the software that comes with it even lets you overclock some if you have the correct 6+2 power plug (or mod)

thanks ondborder i tried using the overdrive thing but it over overclocks my card and i get all kinds of artifacts or freezes

I use riva tuner to increase the fan speed, then I use AMDGPUClockTool to set the clocks on the card.

I have my cards volt modded for the cores and I can run the gpus at ~950. My memory voltage is not modded, but I've heard many people say that volt modding the memory gives very little gain and may increase the risk greatly. I can run my memory at ~1055 on stock volts.

hope this helps...now start benching your card and join the team. :beer:

:) happy to say the ATI tray tools were the best program to find...
tryed everything that exists... :salute:

I have ASUS 3870x2 1Gb with one fan. (one core has cooper heatsink the second one aluminium. secon is hotter by 13°C !!!

The installation of ATI TRAY TOOLS is the problem that can make no able to O.C. both cores & set the frequencies like u wish.

At install you have to do use I2C old mode access (pre HD board only) ON
Than the rest you don't have to do anything more just this has to be marked.
Than ATI TRAY TOOLS will install properly just have preinstalled on ly the driver without the catalyst centre becouse ATI TRAY TOOLS works better than catalyst. (optimizations)

I have the latest beta version and it works just fine on XP SP3 32bit
ATT 1.7.9.1564 beta (it supports even 64bit, vista ...)
but couldn't get em to work on XP 64bit (ist too old anyway)

set in DIRECT3D !important!
-catalyst AI to - LOW (must be on low to use both GPUs otherwise won't work like dual GPU card)
-wait for Vertical Refresh -application preference
-texture and mipmap to -very high /still high is almost the same

look into tools&options tab
advanced tab :
uncheck enble att shared memory
check reset clock on exit
check kill ATI hotkey pooler & do this each time ATT starts

INTERESTING IS MONITORING ATT supports :
included in tools&options : if u wish so ENABLED OnScreen Display (OSD)
AND FLASH OSD tab is what u wish to monitor on your graphic card.
a lot of thing to monitor if supported, but don't check too many u won't see em like
no more than approx. 5

U CAN SET MANUAL PROFILES with fan speed and frequencys
LIKE SET CORE voltage to 1.274V but check to both cores checkbox !!!
than u can try how much u can do with the cores (like ex. 702mhz/900ddr)
and set fan to 42 (not too noisy but good work is done)
the automatic fan doesn't work too good so i set 5 profiles with manual fan speed)

tryed O.C: on 1.274V got stable 702/900 (lower temps and less power usage)
O.C: on 1.244V got stable 594/900
O.C. on 1.302V got stable 837/936 :p

:popcorn:
SAVER MODE downclocked on 1.214V is 189/378

U can use this when runnin desktop mode or movies just save this profile FAN speed about 33:cool: than set load at system start this profile and apply.
it'll load at startup on lower volts and speed so its efficient even more.

kids enjoy today its cheap 4 us :thup:

complements & regards to ATI TRAY TOOLS & RAY ADAMS :cool:

Last edited:
Back