• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual monitors in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Whe I run dual monitors, with the second monitor on an ATI Rage Pro Turbo 8MB PCI, the secondary monitor will only initialize when the Bios is set to initialize PCI first. Half the time Windows gives me an error stating that it has shut down because of a problem and won't boot. When I set the bios to initialize AGP first, the system loads fine, but the Device Manager says that my PCI card can't start, with no other reason. Any ideas?

Resource conflict? Check it out in the device manager. If they try and use the same IRQ then they are going to conflict.

Since it has a problem it can't use an IRQ to conflict with. If I can boot with the PCI initializing I'll look at the Irqs it wants. It still doesn't make sense why it'd do that. Is there any way I can manually give the card resources?

Sounds like you have a card in there that doesn't like sharing its resources. The days of ISA slots and manually reassigning IRQs are gone. You are just going to have to play switcheroo with your cards until something works...assuming that is the problem. If possible try and pull out your motherboard manual and see if any PCI slots are shared with something else and move it...

Nice little quote in you sig about adding features. Looks familiar. I don't have the full mainboard manual where I am, and Epox's site is down. I am fairly sure that they don't state what IRQs are in what slot.

I wasn't implying that. It's a good quote that is applicable to a great many things.

I'll do some card swapping this weekend. It may be that the Graphics card and TV tuner are vying for Irqs, or that it and the graphics are conflicting in some way I don't know about. How about disabling plug and play in the bios for the OS settings? Would that enable me to manually adjust the IRQs?

Back