• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Design a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's a pic I made from AMD's pdf files. It was printable in full size in .bmp format, but was too big a file. I made it a .jpg
Try printing it to see if it remains 1:1 ratio.

One more thing about the above pic. Not all mobo makers stick to the keepout zone exactly. Abit has two tall caps that intrude on the whiet zone on the right side. And I don't know how I missed the .02 for the core centering numbers...hmm. Should be 1.25.

well form what i have seen silver is somewhat better than copper and would look awsome but it is expensive so i think no go on that idea but we will consider it i think someone should compile the ideas and than we can debate them one at a time and seeing as i started this i guess i will. wish me luck.

we also need to set a deadline for this otherwise it won't happen.
how about a month? and we should get someone better at managment than me i am terrable at this but if i must i will do it.

heres what i have so far

80mm Copper
fins or pins
fan type? (cfm,dba,rpm)
mounting (lugs or bolts)
venturi
exhaust or bolw on
base thickness
duct
two fans
cross flow
silver base

well here are two more of my ideas

1) find some sort of way to lift the the cpu from the zif connector ( like a zif extention) and find some way to cool the bottom of the cpu

2) make a silver spliter for 2 cpus

OH HELL i might as well whip out some more ms paint its hard to explain.

Here is my idea...

this isn't a design from scratch but...

Alpha PEP66 design but all copper but with a lot of reall thin fins like SK6. Now as for the fan 60x60x25 would be too large to place it on the side... so how about low profile fan like 60x60x15, like the one used in Volcano3. and place one on each side with one blowing and one sucking ... so even with low profile fan, air can move from one side to another more effectively.

If the design would be like most of the heatsinks... there is no questions that clipping should be made like either alpha or like the one from Vantec 6030D clipp design. or even like P4 socket 423 a like.

Now if the fan were to blow down, centre part wont have much air flow... so how about making the top side the base bit curve toward the core air so that air from side and or whatever can move to that air. and out to side.

If design would be like the pins, it would be somewhat cool to have a pins made like a spring a like, but not like wires but thin flat copper. umm staircase that is twisted like a spring (obcourse without steps :) ) I think that would inrace the surface area extramly a lot. ofcource that stairway can't be too large because it would be hard for air to move down smoothly. and this would need a some casing for the fan to be placed on.

Well one thing is for sure. freakin' AMD should be using HeatPlate!!! THis would make larger heatsink like Alpha 8045 perform better when comprared to 60mm sized heatsinks.

Clipping design from swifttech is nice too.

whatever the design will be,,, using 4 holes around socket would be great too.

----
all copper would need higher rpm fan to remove heat fast enough.
I think only base should be copper...
than again... what the hell,,, do this do that build'em all.

i like the idea of the sprial pins and perhaps we should try that sometime but remember people KISS Keep It Simple Stupid a fin design would work and we want a rough finish for more turbulance i like the cross folw design so I think that should be considered and also how many fins do we want more fins=more noise and less fins=less area the we could also consider a blower rather than a standard fan for laminer(spelling is wrong) air flow.

lol, i just thought of somethin, have an all copper block, no fins, run water tite tubes w/ some type of liguid in them from the core to the top of the heatsink, have a fan blowing on teh tubes to cool them and the liquid in them , there is one in production, dont remember wahts its called though, supposd to work really well!

Tbird man said:
i like the idea of the sprial pins and perhaps we should try that sometime but remember people KISS Keep It Simple Stupid a fin design would work and we want a rough finish for more turbulance i like the cross folw design so I think that should be considered and also how many fins do we want more fins=more noise and less fins=less area the we could also consider a blower rather than a standard fan for laminer(spelling is wrong) air flow.

For the cross flow,,, i say some what a lot of fins would be great, since the fan is a low rpm fan, I don't think it would create that much of a noise when compare to single high RPm fan. Also a additional, make the fins like the fins from OCZ heatsinks, one smooth side and rought on other side. Just to sqeeze bit more surface area.

With this cross flow, it would be really easy to setup a simple air duct just for the CPU cooling. It would be perfect.)almost)

My idea is to hae a Silver Base over the die, and the rest is silver. There would be a top and bottom, both the same size, and CUSIL fins inbetween. Attached to the heatsink, would be a built in thermal diode for checking the CPU temperature on the PC.

Guys guys....

before someone build a heatsink with my design :) hehe

How about creating a HEAT-PLATE for damned AMD cpu ?

Just like Intel P4/Tualatin CPU?

REPLACEMENT FOR SHIM?????

xxgg said:
Guys guys....

before someone build a heatsink with my design :) hehe

How about creating a HEAT-PLATE for damned AMD cpu ?

Just like Intel P4/Tualatin CPU?

REPLACEMENT FOR SHIM?????

That's going to have to be some exact measurments. Can someone be able to make something that small and accurate?

-DarkArctic

Sure why not ?

If not make the height tiny tiny bit lower, and use something bit soft around the edge of the plate so that if not all sides of the plate is not even it can be press down. i am sure heatsink will press down on the plate to make it somewhat leveled.

just a thought.

We could make the HS that has fins that either radiate out from the center (kinda like an orb, but not...), or fins that go 4 ways in order to try to keep turbulace (and noise) down. Guess I'll have to whip out the paint too. :D

JigPu

Here is another idea the gold is where the air from the fans blows down and the holes in the end are where the air comes out you would use two 60mm or maybe two 80 mm and mount with the mobo holes you may not be able to see it but the cross holes all over lap a bit so every gold hole goes through not only the regular hole but also the ajoining holes (dont know if you can make sense of that)

Back