• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Design a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cjlax5 said:
how are you going to get air to flow through the second design?
It's a top view. The air would be blown onto the HS like normal, and then travel in 4 diffrent directions instead of just 1 like on a conventional finned sink.

JigPu

here is another brain storm of mine

probably wont work but i like R&D

Tbird man said:
Here is another idea the gold is where the air from the fans blows down and the holes in the end are where the air comes out you would use two 60mm or maybe two 80 mm and mount with the mobo holes you may not be able to see it but the cross holes all over lap a bit so every gold hole goes through not only the regular hole but also the ajoining holes (dont know if you can make sense of that)

There already is a such a looking heatsink.
Perform bad.

did you guys know that diamond, yes diamond conducts heat better then any metal? well if we want to get pricey, lets go diamond!!!!lol:D

Also, as Nevin said, diamond particles have sharp edges. Conducting heat through the particle is easy, but conducting it from partile to particle is ery poor because the edges are spiked, so less thermal transfer.

AntmanMike said:
Also, as Nevin said, diamond particles have sharp edges. Conducting heat through the particle is easy, but conducting it from partile to particle is ery poor because the edges are spiked, so less thermal transfer.
Yes, but if you could make thousands of little spikes by roughing up the sides, then you could have a chance. But then again, just what are you going to use to rough up diamond?!?

How good do properly made orbs do? I don't mean those things that couldn't make an ice cube cold if it tried, but what they were based on. I remeber reading on here an article about the real orbs being descent coolers, and the Blue Orb and such took the basic design and killed it.

JigPu

The origional orb: Arctic Cooler by Agilent.
I just went to the companies web site, they say that they are leaving the hsf manufacturing arena, but will license their brand of hsf. Bummer.
Nice performing unit, panaflo fan built in much like orbs. Try hardOCP for a review/pic.

Found it on google.

Bump. Any other funky ideas? I'm working on mine. In summary I think that we all decided that:

Majority of the heatsink is copper, maybe silver base
2 80mm fans, 1 as exhaust, 1 as blow?
Slugs or bolt's, probably bolts but that excludes Pentium III users
Fins
Dimensions have not been decided either

That's all for now. Anything I should add or forgot?

-DarkArctic

We also would want to be able to add a duct and if we do a crossflow we could even add two makeing the HSF completely independant of case temps (we would still need fans to move the rest of the air) I think we decided on fins which makes it easier. i think thicker fins are better and also easier so we should stick with that. we want reasonable noise levels so no delta screamers and defenitaly no howlers. Anyone have CAD skills that they could use to draw prototypes (paint just isn't gonna cut it for long) as for fan type and peticulars lets get the basic design first.

xxgg i found what you were talking about and i see some fundamental differences. theirs uses fans with no sides allowing the air to go out the sides and it looks like their is no path through which the air can flow over the fins. mine allows air to go in over all the surface area.

Turbine cooling Fan

I have a cool Idea for an 80 mm Cooling fan. If this will be for the "masses" It will have to be quiet. I know I took my 80.2 CFM Delta fan off after a couple days of thinking I lived on a runway.I think we can acheive very high airflow with low RPM using a turbine method.

You've all seen the PCI slot cooling fans that pump 42 cfm at 2400 RPM. Well lets take two Similar Turbins(Powered by one motor) and strap them to the heatsink.

Using advanced Computer Graphics and a box of Crayons I have built an image of what this device would look like:
turbinefan.jpg

Re: Turbine cooling Fan

Darrenct said:
Using advanced Computer Graphics and a box of Crayons I have built an image of what this device would look like:
turbinefan.jpg
That is a really pretty 'X' for just a box of crayons and computer graphics! :rolleyes: Something must be wrong with your link...

I have some minor CAD skills.... I took 6 weeks of CAD, and was the top student, but unfortunatly, I only know AutoCAD LT, and I have absolutly no CAD programs :( . Anybody else got CAD experience??

JigPu

Back