• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a radiator to stop condensation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freak11

Hi guys,
If I cooled the water temperature down to 4 Celcius and put a triple radiator inside the case with three 120 mm fans, would I need to worry about condensation?

My thoughts are that the radiator would cool down the inner temperature of the case to 6-7 C and thus prevent condensation. Additionally, I would put a dehumidifier into the case. Has anyone tried out something like this??

Last edited:
You might spend a bit doing a search for "Water Chillers".

There should be a lot of information you can draw from there.

:attn:
WII

That would actually cause every square inch of your case to become wet, not a good idea. Either insulate your tubes with neoprene, or make the case airtight and fill it with something like nitrogen.

That would actually cause every square inch of your case to become wet, not a good idea. Either insulate your tubes with neoprene, or make the case airtight and fill it with something like nitrogen.

hmm that sounds very interesting. Are u sure that Nitrogen will stop condensation? Has anyone tried this out?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64405

On this thread someone used a complete airtight case and he never worried about condensation. That must be a cool thing to do. He didnt fill it with nitrogen thought. He just closed the case and started to cool it down. A radiator inside cooled down the inner temp to -2C. you could use a danger den acrylic case, seal it and do the same thing.

I also found this one http://echografika.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=27

A vacuum box keeping the inside totally dry.

Last edited:
That setup is badass I gotta admit.

However insulating only takes a half hour at worst. I'd consider that to be the easier route by far. :p

Also, that person can't open his setup until it reaches ambient or it'll all ice up.
Nitrogen will work, because it doesnt contain water to condensate and ice up, but creating a sealed box is a nightmare.

Also, that person can't open his setup until it reaches ambient or it'll all ice up.
Nitrogen will work, because it doesnt contain water to condensate and ice up, but creating a sealed box is a nightmare.

but dont u still have to seal ur box when u put nitrogen in it?? it may mix with the air and reach equilibrium at some point...

If you have a cylinder, you can keep it up and hold the pressure in there at 1psi or so.

If you have a cylinder, you can keep it up and hold the pressure in there at 1psi or so.

hi nol,
athmospheric pressure is about 14psi. DO i need to reduce that pressure to 1 psi in order to keep the nitrogen in the cylinder? how does that work??

any pure gas will work, even dry air will work.

You should still attempt to seal the case as much as possible. Adding a pure gas into the box only ensures that humid air doesn't bleed in. If you happen to have a tank of O2 (prolly not something you'd want to keep around the house), Nitrogen, Argon, Helium, etc, you set it up to bleed a tiny amount of gas into the case, it'll keep the inside of the case pure and moisture-free. If you have a large tank, you can probably last about 3-5 weeks on a constant slow bleed.

Back