• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

led volts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCTroll

Registered
As it is some way under modding also, come on you have to know it who has been playing around with leds.
What voltage uses the led on pc front panel, I mean here the hdd led and power led what is coming from mobo.

Most LED's are not really picky bout the voltage they get, most 'standard' LED's will light up at about 1.5V (a common voltage used is 2V) more than 2.5 Volt will shorten its life span *edit*or KILL it.

But like I said not all LED's are created equal.

I think you're wondering if you can replace the regular LED's with blue ones, yes you can but AFAIK there are two types, one that uses 5V and one that uses 3.6V.

Most of the 3.6V types work fine at 2V or the voltage supplied by the mobo (I replaced the power LED with a blue one).

Hope that helped

Last edited:
Nope, no blue here, red ones. I wanted to test them before I were going to install them to my case and both ones burnt down.
:(
Somewhy I were remembering that they need 12v..LOL
No I know where from I got this info, in electronic shop there were also infrared blue leds to sell and they had sign that they are for 12v. So it mixed up everything.
Na, two leds burnt down, 20 cents to get new ones:D
What a luck that they were not these expensive blue ones...

You shouldn't need resistors for the pins on your mobo. But if you want to make sure that you aren't overmaxing your LED with voltage, go to RS, and buy a multimeter. Switch it to DC voltage, and measure the two pins voltage. I got my blue power LED from radio shack and works fine. It's 2600 mcd, and I believe it has a forward voltage of 3.6 or so. You only need a resistor if your amperage and consequently voltage is too high. Correct me if I am wrong :D I am new to this stuff too.

You're right, but when you measure the voltage coming from the mobo you should have some load on the pins (connect the original led) otherwise the voltage you measure might be a little high (something like 5 or 6V).

Back