• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony vgn-a290 memory locations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blakehenry00

Alright, so I just got the laptop named above for free because someone spilled coffee on it, a quick cleaning and I am posting from it. It has one gig total of ram in it and I would like to add more. It has two 512MB PC2700 sticks in but I can only locate one. :bang head Does anyone know where the other one is?

EDIT: How hard is to change a hard drive? (First laptop I have owned)

Last edited:
The second ram slot is under your keyboard. There are 2 screws on the bottom to remove, they are near the ram slot that you have already found. Flip the laptop over, then you need to push the 3 tabs on the bottom of the keyboard (in between the keyboard and the touchpad). Push the tabs in the direction away from the touchpad. Lift the keyboard carefully (do not break the cable!). You should see your ram slot there.

Hard drive might be more work, you may see it when you remove your keyboard. If this is the case, you will need to pretty much do a dismantle of the system to get at it. Last Sony laptop i worked on with a bad hard drive, I had to take the laptop almost fully apart to get the drive out.

Great answer for RAM replacement

The second ram slot is under your keyboard. There are 2 screws on the bottom to remove, they are near the ram slot that you have already found. Flip the laptop over, then you need to push the 3 tabs on the bottom of the keyboard (in between the keyboard and the touchpad). Push the tabs in the direction away from the touchpad. Lift the keyboard carefully (do not break the cable!). You should see your ram slot there.

This worked a treat to replace RAM under the keyboard - exactly the right screws - as opposed to another post I read which said remove ALL 23 SCREWS on the bottom!

Thanks!

Back