Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Member ziggo0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    La Porte, Indiana
    Posts
    4,729

    Someone put a screw in my tire...

    ...if you recall a few weeks ago, a thread I made asking about security cameras etc...

    ....today sitting on the front steps with the GF, just looking at my car...got it plated today...I'm noticing something hanging off my tire...thought it was just grass or something...upon further inspection...it's a screw...now sure you can run a screw over and it will go in...but if you look at it...look at the angle it's in, you gotta PUT IT IN to get it where it's at. The direction the tire turns going forward, vs. the lawls of physics say that it's very unlikely it got in there just by running it over. Better yet, it's in between a tread...which makes it even more suspect to being physically screwed into my tire.



    When my GF's dad gets off work...he's going to take a gander at it, people are saying it can be fixed...my car looks terrible now

    effing sad face:



    It's a spare and not a donut thank god...on a positive note, whenever I hit a bump, it feels like I actually have suspension !

  2. #2
    Member techun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,544


    weirder stuff has happened
    Sugo SFF cube case
    4850 45W
    4 gigs ddr2 800
    7200.11 500gig

  3. #3
    Member ziggo0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    La Porte, Indiana
    Posts
    4,729
    Not to mention I've gained my gf's roommate as an enemy...she hates me because apparently i stole her best friend lol? I'm just wanting to think that...it looks that way...no way to really tell i guess..

  4. #4
    Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid Enablingwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Strongsville
    Posts
    6,870
    They make plugs for tires. Pretty easy to get and use. Kits usually run about 5 bucks or so at most chain autopart houses. Or you could go the other route. Take it to a tire shop. They will chemically weld a patch on the inside of the tire.

    It could of very easy been hit by the front tire. Then as it was tumbling. The rear grabbed it. So don't just assume it was nefariously inserted. Though you can't rule that out.

    Long as there is no gash. It is just a nuisance of fixin it. On construction sites. Or streets leading to them. I picked up plenty of screws in my tires. Sometimes they go in at odd angles.

  5. #5
    Senior A64 Killer {PMS}fishy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,673
    You ran it over, and you have a dodge. If all you have is a flat, thats a good thing.
    Pick 2: Speed -- Reliability -- Cost

    Trouble Shooting 101:
    1. RTFM
    2. Repeat Step 1

    6ghz Club Member.


    cw823 Fan Club Founding Member, are you?

  6. #6
    Member SteveLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,216
    Yeah and? Before I went on a road trip....I had 4 nails in one of my tires. I think if someone was out to get me they would have given up and just slashed my tires at that point.

    And mine couldnt be fixed. All but 1 nail wasn't going to be an issue.
    "There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong,
    or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no
    patience for useless things."

    __________________

  7. #7
    Old Member rainless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    CHI-Town Love is alive in Spain
    Posts
    10,061
    Alright ziggo! I admit it! It was ME!

    IIIIIIIIIIIIIII put the screw in your tire! I'm an expert! (And a master of disguise: That shrubbery over there is actually me...)
    Core 4 Q9550 @4003mhz 1.30v
    Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 4.6ghz 1.328v (E0 Stepping)
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.8ghz 1.525v
    Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
    OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
    Corsair 750TX PSU
    Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
    BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202

  8. #8
    Member nd4spdbh2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Camarillo, CA!
    Posts
    9,213
    no one screwed a screw into your tire, if they wanted to **** with you they woulda simply taken a pair of pliers and pulled the whole valve stem outta the rim, its easy to do and makes it impossible to fill back up unless you put a new valve stem back in.

    You dont even want to know the stuff i have seen in tires... my flat bed trailor has dual axles for a total of 4 tires, i use it to take trash to the dump, i think at one point i had 14 patches in total between the 4 tires on the trailor... mainly the rear ones from the front ones kicking stuff up. I have pulled some weird stuff out... ranging from screws completly embeded, nails, screw driver tips, 4 inch long pieces of wire, nails without heads, pieces of tin essientally anything small and semi sharp... believe me that screw in your tire is not intentional at all.

    As per getting it patched... that is VERY close to the sidewall, you probably dont want to patch that yourself (normally i would say patch it as its super easy and quick) i would take it to like a big brand tires to have them check it and make a professional decision. (now if this was on my trailor it would be a no brainer patch, as the thing can run on 2 flat tires without problem haha)
    #12 in the 4ghz core 2 duo club baby! - 52 inches of CRYSIS! - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r -- Heatware
    Main -- Lian Li V2000b -- i7 2700k -- MSI Z68A-GD80 -- 12gb 1600 -- GTX560Ti --Adata 128gb S510 & 2x500gb -- Seasonic S12 600w -- Dell 2209WA
    HTPC -- Silverstone GD05B -- E7200 @ 3.2ghz -- G41-M7 -- 4GB 800mhz -- g210 passive -- 320gb 2.5in WD -- Antec EA 430w -- 52inch Samsung LCD
    Server -- Antec NSK4480B -- E3300 @ 2.5ghz -- ECS G33T-M2 -- 3gb 667mhz -- Onboard Vid -- 500Gb + 1TB hatachi + 1tb WD -- Zalman 400w
    Netbook - Dell Mini 9 - Atom 1.6ghz - 8GB ssd - 2GB pc6400 - WIN 7 PRO!
    Need 4 Speed - BH

  9. #9
    Member Xenocide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    4,214
    Can it be fixed? yes.

    Should it be fixed? no.

    Don't ever patch anything near/on your sidewall. It is just asking for problems.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

  10. #10
    Member gottcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
    Can it be fixed? yes.

    Should it be fixed? no.

    Don't ever patch anything near/on your sidewall. It is just asking for problems.
    I agree its to close to the side wall where the tire flexes the most. But it looks like its in the meatest part of the tire, it might not have went all the way through.
    MY HEAT
    I7 4770K @1.2 @4.5
    ASUS A Z97
    H2O swiftech 220 kit with Raystorm XSPC Block
    Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 16gig
    EVGA GTX780 3 gig memory
    Seasonic 660watt -No mods to this
    Samsung 840 pro 256 gig ssd
    Armor case with 250mm side fan
    Win7 Ultimate 64 bit

  11. #11
    Trailer Chasing Senior Adragontattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy
    Posts
    5,260
    You want to worry about something.

    A few years ago I drove to work, brakes felt funny but I didnt think much of it..

    End of the day, I am driving down Rte 66 in light traffic and go to stop...

    or not, pedal goes to the floor with minimal effort.

    Luckily I had a stick and a functional e brake so I used that to get home.

    Get home, pop under the truck and start checking calipers. One caliper had the bleeder screw tight enough that it didnt drip fluid but loose enough that under pressure (applying brakes) it would squirt brake fluid out.

    At the time, I had 2 different husbands who werent exactly happy with what had occured between their wives and I so I had a semi educated guess of who did it.

    A screw in the sidewall of your tire is NOT intentional (takes too much time to insert), you probably drove over it and picked it up in your tire while driving.
    Only ISP provided, .EDU, .GOV, .MIL e-mail addresses are Classifieds approved. Are you unable to access the Classifieds?
    Click here to find out why!
    The Forum Rules FAQ|
    Classies Rules and Regs
    Prices, slashes and edits
    Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
    Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!

  12. #12
    theELVISCERATOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    3,205
    rofl at the car looks terrible now comment.

    with brand new tires that car looks terrible....

    Does it sound like a balloon fart also?
    Intel 2600k @4.5ghz Megahalem/Corsair SP120 Pull
    Gskill Sniper 8gb DDR3-2133cas8 @ 1866
    MSI P67A-GD65 BIOS 2.4
    Galaxy Winforce GTX670 @1215/3404 SLI
    Xfi Fatality Pro Sound
    Boot /Adata SX900 256gb SSD
    Storage/ 2x 640GB WDAAK Raid 0
    Antec 1200/Corsair 750 TX PSU / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Yamakasi 30" IPS 2560x1600



  13. #13
    Member greyharte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    new mexico
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Adragontattoo View Post
    You want to worry about something.

    A few years ago I drove to work, brakes felt funny but I didnt think much of it..

    End of the day, I am driving down Rte 66 in light traffic and go to stop...

    or not, pedal goes to the floor with minimal effort.

    Luckily I had a stick and a functional e brake so I used that to get home.

    Get home, pop under the truck and start checking calipers. One caliper had the bleeder screw tight enough that it didnt drip fluid but loose enough that under pressure (applying brakes) it would squirt brake fluid out.

    At the time, I had 2 different husbands who werent exactly happy with what had occured between their wives and I so I had a semi educated guess of who did it.

    A screw in the sidewall of your tire is NOT intentional (takes too much time to insert), you probably drove over it and picked it up in your tire while driving.

    ummm ... im cornfused .... what are you doing w/ 2 different husbands and 2 different wives? .... i thought that was illegal ....


    lol

  14. #14
    Member ps2cho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Socal, no hella here
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by {PMS}fishy View Post
    You ran it over, and you have a dodge. If all you have is a flat, thats a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by theELVISCERATOR View Post
    rofl at the car looks terrible now comment.

    with brand new tires that car looks terrible....

    Does it sound like a balloon fart also?
    Are you both asking to head for banned camp? Cut it out.


    OP: Is that the SRT4?
    Main: i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz:.:P8Z77-V LE Plus Mobo:.:8GB DDR3 RAM:.:AMD 7870 2GB GPU:.:Corsair H50:.:Corsair 520HX PSU
    Laptop: Dell XPS12 Ultrabook
    Media Server: A6-5400k // ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M // 4GB DDR3 // 60" Vizio LED 1080p
    HDD Server: Celeron 1840 // ASRock Z97Extreme4 // 6TB HDD's // Windows Server 2012


  15. #15
    nerdlogic
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Adragontattoo View Post
    You want to worry about something.

    A few years ago I drove to work, brakes felt funny but I didnt think much of it..

    End of the day, I am driving down Rte 66 in light traffic and go to stop...

    or not, pedal goes to the floor with minimal effort.

    Luckily I had a stick and a functional e brake so I used that to get home.

    Get home, pop under the truck and start checking calipers. One caliper had the bleeder screw tight enough that it didnt drip fluid but loose enough that under pressure (applying brakes) it would squirt brake fluid out.

    At the time, I had 2 different husbands who werent exactly happy with what had occured between their wives and I so I had a semi educated guess of who did it.

    A screw in the sidewall of your tire is NOT intentional (takes too much time to insert), you probably drove over it and picked it up in your tire while driving.
    I can understand being mad but that's too far.

  16. #16
    Member wa77ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,013
    Ya well don't cheat with some dudes wife. If that was your wife I'm sure you would be thrilled. Its funny how people brag about stuff on here thats completely irrelevant.

  17. #17
    Trailer Chasing Senior Adragontattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy
    Posts
    5,260
    Uh I wasnt bragging chief, besides in neither instance was I told that they were in fact still married.

    and the "bragging" as you put it DOES relate to the OP as
    You want to worry about something.

    A few years ago I drove to work, brakes felt funny but I didnt think much of it..

    End of the day, I am driving down Rte 66 in light traffic and go to stop...

    or not, pedal goes to the floor with minimal effort.

    Luckily I had a stick and a functional e brake so I used that to get home.

    Get home, pop under the truck and start checking calipers. One caliper had the bleeder screw tight enough that it didnt drip fluid but loose enough that under pressure (applying brakes) it would squirt brake fluid out.
    if you would like to continue assuming things please feel free to PM me.
    Only ISP provided, .EDU, .GOV, .MIL e-mail addresses are Classifieds approved. Are you unable to access the Classifieds?
    Click here to find out why!
    The Forum Rules FAQ|
    Classies Rules and Regs
    Prices, slashes and edits
    Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
    Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!

  18. #18
    Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid Enablingwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Strongsville
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by gottcha View Post
    I agree its to close to the side wall where the tire flexes the most. But it looks like its in the meatest part of the tire, it might not have went all the way through.

    If you look at his tire. You will see a treadline. It is well inside that that. So just from the picture. I would say it could be fixed. It also looks inside of the contact point.

    Unless it ripped the inside of the tire. Which radial tires are sort of good for. There is a pretty good chance a plug would be a cheap route. It is rare that a cord will be torn up, but does happen.
    Or just take it to the tire shop and have them pull the wheel off and look inside. Just to make sure no steel is in a bad way. It could of ripped the inside pretty bad. Screws do that sometimes. Nails, usually will just push the cording out of the way.

    If something is outside of the treadline. There is even more steel. Which makes it easier to rip out the cord. Past that slight groove(treadline) the tire has so little chance of being repairable. Since the steel cord is more then likely torn out and exposed.

    You haven't had fun until you did a bead by hand. The machines are sooo nice.

  19. #19
    Member wa77ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Adragontattoo View Post
    Uh I wasnt bragging chief, besides in neither instance was I told that they were in fact still married.

    and the "bragging" as you put it DOES relate to the OP as

    if you would like to continue assuming things please feel free to PM me.
    Well I guess I just don't see the connection between a story about brake calipers and two wives (maybe they weren't wearing rings then) and a screw being ran over.

  20. #20
    Trailer Chasing Senior Adragontattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy
    Posts
    5,260
    Quote Originally Posted by techun View Post


    weirder stuff has happened
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
    ...if you recall a few weeks ago, a thread I made asking about security cameras etc...
    you gotta PUT IT IN to get it where it's at. The direction the tire turns going forward, vs. the lawls of physics say that it's very unlikely it got in there just by running it over. Better yet, it's in between a tread...which makes it even more suspect to being physically screwed into my tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
    Not to mention I've gained my gf's roommate as an enemy...she hates me because apparently i stole her best friend lol? I'm just wanting to think that...it looks that way...no way to really tell i guess..
    Quote Originally Posted by rainless View Post
    Alright ziggo! I admit it! It was ME!

    IIIIIIIIIIIIIII put the screw in your tire! I'm an expert! (And a master of disguise: That shrubbery over there is actually me...)
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh2 View Post
    no one screwed a screw into your tire, if they wanted to **** with you they woulda simply taken a pair of pliers and pulled the whole valve stem outta the rim, its easy to do and makes it impossible to fill back up unless you put a new valve stem back in.

    You dont even want to know the stuff i have seen in tires... my flat bed trailor has dual axles for a total of 4 tires, i use it to take trash to the dump, i think at one point i had 14 patches in total between the 4 tires on the trailor... mainly the rear ones from the front ones kicking stuff up. I have pulled some weird stuff out... ranging from screws completly embeded, nails, screw driver tips, 4 inch long pieces of wire, nails without heads, pieces of tin essientally anything small and semi sharp... believe me that screw in your tire is not intentional at all.

    As per getting it patched... that is VERY close to the sidewall, you probably dont want to patch that yourself (normally i would say patch it as its super easy and quick) i would take it to like a big brand tires to have them check it and make a professional decision. (now if this was on my trailor it would be a no brainer patch, as the thing can run on 2 flat tires without problem haha)
    Quote Originally Posted by wa77ss View Post
    Well I guess I just don't see the connection between a story about brake calipers and two wives (maybe they weren't wearing rings then) and a screw being ran over.
    Read the bold parts for an explanation of why I included the story.
    Only ISP provided, .EDU, .GOV, .MIL e-mail addresses are Classifieds approved. Are you unable to access the Classifieds?
    Click here to find out why!
    The Forum Rules FAQ|
    Classies Rules and Regs
    Prices, slashes and edits
    Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
    Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •